Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / group I to group IIWELDS
- - By STEELERS (*) Date 10-30-2007 23:54
need some help here, not positive if what i am doing is correct by the D1.1 CODE. if i am doing a pre-qualified 1-G test for the welders with backing with 3/8" A-36 plate using flux core under A5.20  filler metal ,then does that qualify the welders to weld ,lets say, for example, an A-36 angle clip wing plate to an A-992 beam. the question is not about position or groove or fillet qualifications , but the fact of qualifying on A-36 TO A-36 with under 3/4 plate and welding A-36 to A992. is this by the code, and if so , then where  in the code do i know it is o.k. since my qualifying test is group I TO group I IS THIS A LEGIT TEST for group I A36 to group II A992? ALL HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

thanks,steelers

Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-31-2007 14:39
D1.1-2004, paragraph 4.21 states that a welder has to be qualified in accordance with a written WPS. The welder would be qualified for all the base metals included in the WPS.

Paragraph 4.7.3 states that if the WPS is qualified by testing using a base metal listed in table 3.1, then all the base metals listed in table 3.1 and per table 4.8 are qualified. If a base metal not listed in table 3.1, but is listed in Annex M is used, then the range of qualifications is listed in table 4.8, which includes all the base metals of table 3.1. If the WPS is a prequalified WPS, only the base metals listed in table 3.1 are qualified.

So, the welder is qualified to a WPS that is prequalified: the welder is qualified for all base metals in table 3.1.
If the welder is qualified to a WPS qualified by testing using a base metal listed in table 3.1: the welder is qualified for all base metals listed in table 3.1 per table 4.8.
If the welder is qualified to a WPS qualified by testing using a base metal listed in Annex M: the welder is qualified for all base metals listed in table 3.1 and Annex M per table 4.8

The welder's qualification is dependent on the range of base metals qualified by the WPS. Notice that Table 4.11 does not list base metal as an essential variable. That is provided the base metal is one listed in D1.1 table 3.1 or Annex M.

At least that is my interpretation of D1.1. My interpretation is worth just what you paid for it.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By STEELERS (*) Date 11-01-2007 10:31
thanks Al, that looks right . most of it matches whats in 2006 after i compared.appreciate it once again thanks, jody

Parent - - By David Lee (*) Date 12-16-2007 02:31
A992 material is a tri grade it covers A36 / A709 in the same group of base metal The same P number qualifies.
Just be sure your filler metal is appropriate.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-16-2007 16:40
Hello Dave;

Can you expand upon what you wrote in your response?

Best regards - Al
Parent - By David Lee (*) Date 12-17-2007 00:13
My mistake. I was thinking A992 was recently moved to group 2 materials from group 1
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / group I to group IIWELDS