Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CRACK ON BIOLER BURNER PIPE
- - By syda (*) Date 11-01-2007 03:09
DEAR FRIENDS,
I AM SYDNEY FROM SRI LANKA. THERE IS A CRACK ON BOILER BURNER PIPE. THE CLIENT DOSE NOT HAVE ANY DETAILS FOR ME TO STUDY ABOUT THE MATERIAL.THIS PIPE IS INSIDE THE BURNER UNIT AND THERE IS WELD JOINT (T.I.G.)AT THE MIDDLE AREA OF PIPE. I HAVE DIS-CONNECTED THE PIPE AND DONE A COLOUR TEST AND CRACK IS APPERING AT THE WELD BOUNDRY. KINDLY HELP ME TO DO THE REPAIR WORK.

SYDNEY
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 11-01-2007 12:38
Well, if the client can't give you any info on what the pipe is and how it was welded the first time then I wouldn't do it.  It's a must that you know what your working with so you know how to attack the situation.  If you have the whole section of pipe out that has the crack in it and they won't give you what you need then just make a new one so you know it gets done right.;-)
Parent - - By pipefitter100 (*) Date 11-19-2007 08:42
you want that rod with the gold band around it and you add some ai to it and turn you machine up pretty warm for good penetration,i believe its called air arc weld rod,your boss will be so proud when you get done making a real pretty weld with this rod.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 11-19-2007 16:37
You are just entirely too helpful.  What a great solution!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-19-2007 16:51
I hope someone can return the favor pipefitter.

No one needs enemies with a friend like you at their side.

Al
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-19-2007 16:56
Aint that the truth.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-19-2007 16:49
If you can get the name of the burner off the name plate you can contact the manufacturer. Most companies have web sites and a contact you can use. Provide them with the model number and the serial number. They may be able to tell you the type of metal used. From that you may deduce the type of filler metal to use.

You can do a quick check to determine if the material is ferromagnetic steel or austenitic stainless steel/nonmagnetic metal by checking it with a magnet. You can easily determine if the ferromagnetic steel is high alloy (chrome or nickle) by subjecting a cleaned area to water to see if it rusts. Do a spark test with a grinder in a darkened room to approximate the carbon content. This will help steer you in the right direction if the manufacturer will not provide some direction for the repair of the burner.

The last alternative is to have a sample analyzed by a laboratory to tell you what the alloy is. Then you will have the actual alloy content and the filler metal can be easily determined.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CRACK ON BIOLER BURNER PIPE