Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GTAW fluxcore
- - By TRC (***) Date 11-01-2007 21:28
HEY yall, fixin' to look at some cryogenic work at an LNG plant down in the flat land. It's on pipe up to 8" SCHD 10, 304L  to include fittings, flanges and valves. My experiance with LNG work is limited and after reading the CBI web on LNG materials, controlled ferrite seems to be an issue. I have used GTAW fluxcore for a welder qual years ago but have never used it in the field. SOOO my experiance with it is limited. My question is- is there a controlled ferrite GTAW  FCAW electrode that can be used at -320F and still meet the .015 charpy requirement?
Parent - - By SWP (**) Date 11-02-2007 13:24
Please clarify, are saying GTAW with a fluxcore filler material?  Are there fluxcore fillers, in rod or spool form, for use with GTAW?
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 11-02-2007 20:50 Edited 11-02-2007 21:28
About 10 years ago I did a welder qual for a company that I worked for and it was a GTAW process. If I recall correctly it was 36"X3/32 tig wire. The purpose of the wire was to eliminate a purge. It was not run like a traditional GTAW root. It actually required a keyhole to allow the flux to flow to the inside of the root. And if I recall again it was only for the root and not for the fill and cap.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GTAW fluxcore