Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / Ranger 250 Kohler (w/mechanical fuel pump) info needed
- - By NMWELDING (**) Date 11-02-2007 02:47
I know this is not the proper place for this but I know many knowledgeable weldors visit this site and their expertise and knowledge is invaluable. I have an opportunity to purchase a Ranger 250 gasoline engine welder,a 2006 model from my local welding supply store.It is brand new just a leftover model.They are willing to make me a good deal, knocking off about 1000 dollars to move it. But the list price posted on the welder is a little more than the price for a 2007 model that Lincoln has on their website. My question is,does anyone know roughly what the price of a 2006 model would have been listed for on Lincoln's website so I can use this as a starting point,since they told me they would knock off about 1000 dollars? I believe it is the Kohler engine (w/mechanical fuel pump). I am not partial to Lincoln, I already have a Big 40,a Bobcat 225nt and a Classic 3. Thanks for your input. 
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 11-02-2007 18:16
Another question, I was searching on the internet and found a 2007 welder on ebay being sold by weldingsuppliesatioc for $3323.87 with free shipping. Also a 2007 at contractor supply.com for 3371.72 and free shipping,and one other site,weilerwelding.com has a new 2006 model for 2986.00 plus shipping. These are all new with no hours,even the 2006. These are the Ranger 250 with the mechanical fuel pump.Back to my question,has anyone dealt with any of these companies,and/or are they legitamite. Are any one of these better to deal with than the other? The reason I am looking at these is because they are a better deal than the one at my local welding supply store, not sure which way to go. Thanks,any advice will be appreciated.  
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-03-2007 03:19
I never dealt with them, but weldingsuppliesatioc is always listing a slew of new machines on eBay. The seem to be a legit dealer. Sometimes there is a list of machines on eBay from somebody You never saw before or again, with really low prices, and before the auction ends it disapears with no traces. Those I suspect are some type of scam.
Parent - By turbolaser (**) Date 11-03-2007 09:30
I'd buy from the local welding shop.  If the machine has a problem after 20 hours(should'nt but you never know) you can just drive it over to the shop and let them deal with it.  If you buy from someone that is 10 states away what will you do if the something on the machine craps out after a few hours of use, I'm sure they'd fix it at your shipping expense.  My big items I always buy local just in case something goes wrong with it after a few hours of use.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 11-05-2007 15:08 Edited 11-05-2007 15:13
In 2006 Ranger 250's were sellin at $2650 here in OKC At the Railroad Yard in Stillwater you can purchase a 2007 Lincoln GXT new for $2795. So if these companies are throwing in shipping it may be worth it, just remember you buy for a local supplier for the service.

If you have warranty issues with the engine you will need to provide a copy of the bill of sale to get Kohler warranty. If you buy from a company close to you, that you always do business with, then you can always call them and have them fax a copy to the service center. Less time and trouble for you. But if you go for the lowest price, chances are you're going to be out the time and trouble.

JMO-- work on a relationship with your local company, and in the end it will pay off.
Parent - By NMWELDING (**) Date 11-06-2007 18:06
Everyone, thanks for your advice and input on this machine.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-02-2007 06:05
Hello Kaye i have a question for you i'm gonna get my 53 shorty hpgraded and painted that will give me a good hot welding machine i'm thinking after that is done of selling my redface to get a 305g what can you tell me about these machines my boss has a 305d a loves it his son has 1 too i have seen them weld and run lights off of the machine at the same time are these dual process machines meaning you can weld and run lights or power tools off them at the same time just curious i know it's not good on the 200's i rip roughnecks asses for running a grinder off my machine while i'm welding with it so what if any input do you have on this or did i open a whole other can of worms
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 12-03-2007 16:17 Edited 12-10-2007 18:24
They are good machines. They are not 'industrial' engines so they will not stand up to time like their big brothers. But I have a few customers on the rig yards who have maintenanced them religiously and have 6000 hours on the machines when warranty expires. They then sell that machine and get another one.

Let me know how serious you are about this. I have a customer with brand new 305G he is looking at doing some trading on for a SA200.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 12-17-2007 02:10
bought one in august myself. Welds as close to a 200 as I have found. Got a little whine when weld though (Arc frequency?) gets annoying after a while. Sparks are the hottest you will ever have come off a weld on you. Fuel consumption is not as good as a 300 i have with an f162 in it. I sure like wt (580 lbs) and size, but don't believe i would want to be on the firing line with it all day though. Kohler rattle would get old real fast.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-17-2007 18:19
I'M JUST ASKING OPINIONS CAUSE THE PRICE OF FUEL IS GONNA END UP KILING ME AND I NEED SUMTHIN LIGHTER. AND WHERE I'VE BEEN AND PLACES I'VE HEARD OF THEY WONT EVEN LET YOU TEST ON A PIPELINE WITH AN AIR COOLED MACHINE
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-18-2007 00:41
i can fill my gxt and run it 12 hours today and 7 till 12 tomorrow before i have to fill it.
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 12-18-2007 14:32
My 305 G will only run about 12-13 hours on a tank.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 12-19-2007 22:43
Darin- you have to be "using" your machine to burn fuel like Rio. Just starting it in the morning and letting it run all day is different. Just kinding. But I don't know how you're doing that. When the power was out at Dads he hooked up the Ranger 8 and had to fill it evry 12 hours. Nevermind I figured it out, it was under load, not just sitting there idling. (nudge nudge)
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-20-2007 02:12
i didnt have the machine under a load for 12 hours at a time. while fitting with a torch, it did idle.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-20-2007 05:19
Those machines would burn close to 2 gallons per hour at full load.
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-20-2007 02:15
i  have had 4 new lincoln ranger gxt in the last 15 months. i run 2 machines at my projects. (my hired hand runs the other one.) i sell the gxt when they get close to 1000 hours. Farmers stand in line to buy them for 2500 bucks. i stay in warranty this way.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / Ranger 250 Kohler (w/mechanical fuel pump) info needed