Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME Pressure Vessels
- - By TimGary (****) Date 04-09-2001 14:50
Gentlemen,
I am trying to find out if attaching insulation pins to a ASME "U" stamped vessel with a "Pin Shooter" (small stud welder) would void the hydrotest.
Is anyone familiar with this?
Thanks in advance,
Tim Gary
Parent - By stringer_2000 (*) Date 04-09-2001 17:18
I couldn't find anything in ASME VIII that says you must re-hydrotest after stud welding attachments. It does say attachments which could not be welded prior to hydrotest do not require re-hydrotest. I believe you would have to re-hydrotest whenever you violate min wall thickness, but not in your case. You would however have to re-do any required post weld heat treatment, if any. in that case, you would have to re-hydrotest. Check wit your AI. He/she will be able to tell you for sure.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 04-12-2001 15:34
Thanks to all who replied by post and e-mail...
I found through your help and from my AI that while small insulation pin "stud welding" may not seem like a big deal, it falls under stringent stud welding rules in the ASME code.
For instance, even though a Procedure Qualification is not necessary, a WPS and subsequent WPQ's are mandatory. As a matter of fact, the Welding Operators have to re-qualify at the beginning of each shift and certified records have to be kept.
The only way to have avoided re-hydro would be to file a R-1 form along with the U1-A and have a Technician certified to SNT-TC-1A NDT each attachment.
I think we'll resort to the glue-on type of pins....

Thanks again,
Tim Gary
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-16-2001 22:27
Back in my days of erector engineer, I insulated a lot of ASME VIII Section I vessels (deaerators, storage tanks, etc.) without welding a single pin whatsoever. Important: the vessels should be preferably horizontal.
If you're still interested, give me an advise and I'll tell you how I did.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By - Date 04-22-2001 18:50
I'm interested, how did you do it?

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-02-2001 20:49
Together with the answer, I must send you some sketches which I can't post here. Let me know your address and I'll send them by mail.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME Pressure Vessels