Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NR232 6G Pipe
- - By nevadanick (**) Date 11-04-2007 03:58
Hi, i currently have an all position, unlimited thickness cert for NR232 .072 diameter.
Just started working on the 6g, practicing on 6" schedule 80, with a chill ring.
Root pass is pretty good, tie ins arnt so great, to slow and i have excessive buildup at the tie ins, screwing me on the cover pass,to fast and risk stepping out of the puddle and digging a hole.
would apprecieate advice on all aspects of this test from anyone who has ran this particular process and position
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-05-2007 15:29
A couple things. You say your are all position qualed and are now doing a 6G. Is the chill ring the only difference? And when you say tie ins, are you talking about tying back into your starts?
If so, my technique with FCAW has always been that when you see the start approaching, just before you get there you jump quickly out to one of the the corners of the rounded start point, hesitating for the briefest of moments to make sure you burn in to the vulnerable corner, sweep quickly across to the other corner while concentrating on maintaining the arc right over the top of the start edge to burn anything that may be trapped, and then hesitating again at the opposite corner to burn anything out and then pull back slightly and drag out slowly. This has always worked to flatten start ties ins for me. The jump out minimizes the colume of metal, and hesitating at the corners ensures minimizing slag inslusion at a couple of the most susceptible points.
You also want to make sure you move quickly at the very beginning and build up to your fill level so that when you tie in to your start you have less metal to overcome.
Parent - - By nevadanick (**) Date 11-05-2007 18:42
thanks for you response, i should of said that i have an all position Plate cert 3g and 4g
the spot im having trouble with is the tie in at the bottom of the pipe at the 6 o'clock where im starting right at my previous start to go up the other side of the pipe
its like i know i need to go faster at the start to prevent excessive metal buildup, but im sure you know what happens if you step out of the puddle and lose your slag shelf with the 232
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-05-2007 19:14
I always started slightly in front of the opposite side start. Then drag back into the start, do the corner to corner thing and then proceed forward burning over the top of the minimal weld metal I layed down to start. With practice you can completely eliminate any build up. This also gives your wire a chance to heat up and your arc a chance to stabilize before you hit those corners.
Always did the same thing with GMAW and SMAW. On 100% RT to boot.
Parent - By nevadanick (**) Date 11-05-2007 21:12
thanks again, im going to go weld tonight and ill give that technique a try,  yeah i dont have a problem with the 7018 or Dual Shield, for me at least they are considerably much easier to run than 232,  this wire is amazing as far as the large amount metal you can carry out of position
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NR232 6G Pipe