Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / beveling
- - By EVWELDER (**) Date 11-12-2007 18:01
I am working on a project that needs alot of beveling consisting of 12"x16"x1/2" rectangular sections that are bent with a radius also that are about twenty feet long so they are extra hard to fit in a mill to bevel and grinding would just take too long. We have plate bevel machine but doesn't seem to work very well also it is way too heavy to be beveling all day. Anyway my question is if any of you guys have any better way of beveling all this material grinding would be about 5-6 days with two people and that won't work. So any ideas would be appreciated by the way the tube is A500 Grade B.
Parent - By mooseye (**) Date 11-12-2007 23:44 Edited 11-12-2007 23:48
You didn't say what material, but if steel, grab a torch. Finish with grinder.
If you can do the bevel before bending a track torch works well. I used to bevel 40' sheets of 3/8" black plate with a track torch and two lengths of track. Had to have 22 degrees and a 1/8 land. The fun part was that it was outside and on saw horses.
Parent - By mountainman (***) Date 11-12-2007 23:45
one option could be to make a jig at your req'd degree and cut them with a torch, a steady hand shouldn't leave much for the grinder to do. or line em up and spank one edge with a track torch, flip em all three times and done deal. pretty rough, but hope it helps.

regards;
JJ
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / beveling