Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ROV Deep Sea Chassis Welding
- - By 1fastguy (**) Date 11-13-2007 16:20
We are looking at getting some contracts to weld chassis for a company that builds underwater Remote Operated Vehicle's for deep sea exploration. The chassis are made from 6061 T6 ALM. We are going to use 5356 filler metal,(because of the salt water corrision issue and sheer strength) with a GMAW process. Our experience in doing ALM Mig welding has been with 4043 as a filler metal on T6. Is there anything we should do differently or watch out for when useing the 5356 filler metal?
Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 11-14-2007 02:14
5356 Is a good alloy for what you are looking at. It has been My experience that a lack of penetration would be one of your biggest concerns for the application you are looking to applie it to. Them boys get really grumpy when they loose what can be a couple hundred g's because your weld did not hold. Thing to keep in mind is not just the unit itself but the strain that can be placed on the umbilical can be somewhat excessive when there is few hundred feet of it strung out behind the support vessel. The frame itself is not usually all that complicated but it does need to keep all the other components held together. I would suggest though that if you had some hands that were good at tig welding you should go with that. Most of the units I have seen or had to repair have been done with tig. Another problem which I have seen in the past is porosity when using mig on the heavy section due to the hydrogen being trapped in the weldment espcaily on muti pas application they will look good on the outside but will be far from it. The reasons for which as I am learning are numerous and can be frustrating to deal with. Those guys in the marine enviroment used to spending the extra buck anyway so I would not worry to much about your extra labour cost and consumables that tig welding will bring to the project for piece of mind alone it will be well worth it.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-14-2007 04:39
When I MIG weld with 5356 I get smoke and sputterballs, but the weld seems OK. I would like to hear what the experts say too.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-15-2007 19:28
Hello Dave;

My experience is that GMAW spray produces the better mechanical properties if multiple passes are necessary.

The heat treatable aluminum alloys over-age when held at elevated temperatures (read multipass GTAW) for any length of time. We normally enhance the cooling rates by using a fan to blow cold air on the weldment between weld passes to minimize the loss of tensile strength and ductility.

Porosity is usually related to contamination of the base metal. A more complete cleaning regiment will minimize the porosity problem. The contact tip condition and excessive spatter in the gas nozzle can also encourage porosity. I'm not sure why, but when I hear a crackling sound and I see a "corona" around the gas nozzle I usually see an increase in porosity. A new contact tip and a new welding nozzle seem to do wonders at reducing the crackling and corona and resulting porosity.

Most thicknesses of aluminum should be welded using the spray transfer mode if GMAW is used. I haven't seen too many cases where pulsed GMAW proved to be effective. I can't say that it won't work, but I don't recommend it based on my experience.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-16-2007 04:58
Al, I havn't done any aluminum since summer, when I did some 5xxx using 5356. all in all I like 4043 better, when I can use it. I need to play around with the 5356 more and develope some settings that work well with it. My machine has no instrumentation, and I work alone, so it is a matter of trial & error.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-16-2007 13:33
Hello Dave;
The smoke is usually referred to a smut and it occurs along the side of the welds. It is composed of small particles, primarily magnesium, that is volatized by the welding arc and then condenses and drops to the surface of the base metal as it get away from the core of the high temperature arc. The smut is usually removed easily with a stainless steel brush.

Heavy deposits may be spatter from over heating the weld puddle, but I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say sputterballs.

Welding parameters are nearly identical for both 4XXX and 5XXX filler metals.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-17-2007 07:10
I only ever got My hair on fire from welding once, and that was from one of those @#$!%&**#@! sputterballs. They are spatter of a sort, but I guess the mag is burning in the alloy when it gets out in the air. I get noticable smoke in the shop from the 5356 that I don't get with the 4043 as well as the smut that comes off readily with a wire brush. I think I was way below spray transfer and the sputterballs were from the wire short circuting into the puddle making rather large spatter. I will try some smaller [.035"] wire and keep in the spray transfer range next time. How well does spray transfer work out of position in aluminum? When I did use spray I think I had everything flat.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-18-2007 14:47
I've used spray transfer on material as thin as 1/8 inch using a square groove preparation. I've used it in all positions with good success to the point that I have a client that has me spend a week with each new hire to train and qualify them in all positions on aluminum pipe and tubing.

Bear in mind that the smaller the electrode, the higher the wire feed speed. You will be over 800 inches a minute for some applications using small diameter electrode. Due to limitations of your wire feeder, you may have to use larger diameter electrodes which may adversely affect you ability to weld thinner materials.

In general, I never recommend short circuiting transfer for aluminum, but I am not involved with anything less than 1/8 inch thick. When the material is less than 1/8 inch, I usually opt to use GTAW. I have been involved with short circuiting transfer in two cases where I was an expert witness for the deceased plaintiffs. Both cases involved fabrication using short circuiting transfer and in both cases my client's estates collected handsome sums of money. I won't tell anyone they can't use short circuiting transfer because there maybe situations where SC is fine. I simply haven't seen it nor have I been directly involved with success stories involving short circuiting and aluminum welds. Every time you say something can't be done, someone will show you a case where it can be done and used successfully. However, even though I'm not from Missouri, I say "seeing is believing, show me!"

The heavier smoke you observe and noted is the result of the volatized magnesium oxidizing in air. Magnesium and aluminum have similar melting points, but the magnesium vaporizes below 2000 degrees while aluminum vaporizes above 4000 degree F. Considering the temperature of the welding arc, it is easy to understand how a portion of the magnesium vaporizes and doesn't completely transfer to the weld puddle.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-19-2007 03:28
Al Most of My aluminum work is 1/8 to 1/4" I have been using 3/64 wire because I have it and it seems to work OK. .035 works great, that was what was in the spoolgun when I got it.  My 20-E Miget has the 100-585 IPM motor. I did run some .030 wire in it, but I had the speed pretty well flat out if I recall. When I used spray transfer it seemed like the start end of the bead was to "cold" and not wet in properly, the middle went real nice, and toward the end things were pretty hot [no preheat]. I think some of the problem may be that 3/64 wire was pretty big for the work I was doing, and the size bead I wanted to end up with, and do to this I had to get moving and go pretty fast. I have a lot of .035 5356, and I have a 13# spool of what I hope is .035 4043, but I won't really know what it is untill I use some of it. I buy a lot of stuff from an industrial surplus yard. They bought out an industrial supply house. The aluminum wire is marked with diameter only, not alloy. I have a spool winder I made from an old hand cranked grinder that I use to put it on 4" spools.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-19-2007 04:44
Need is the mother of invention Dave.

I use run-on and run-off tabs to eliminate the problems you mentioned. It may sound weird, but I even use them along the length of a joint where it is impossible to make one continuous run.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-20-2007 05:45
That would definatly solve the problem. One of the jobs I get from time to time is repair on an aluminum dump truck bed. This thing was poorly designed, so it requires regular repair. I think it was made from 3xxx material. The welds on it don't have the smooth surface that would indicate spray transfer either. What sort of test should I use to determine if I am making proper welds? I am rather limited in My "shade tree" operation. I could come up with a way to do a bend test, but I havn't got an easy way to do tensile strength. The stuff I build stays together OK, but that is probably a reflection on over building it. My mottos are "Non Critical Welds for Non Critical People" and "When in Doubt, Make it Stout". Nothing I build is fully engineered, and some is repair work that cannot be made truley "RIGHT" due to inadequacy in the original design.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-20-2007 13:24
I like the simple fillet break test. While it doesn't provide information on the strength of the weld, it does show internal discontinuities and whether fusion to the root is achieved.

A simple nick break test will also reveal internal discontinuities and whether good fusion between weld passes is achieved.

Depending on the size of the fillet weld, you can see if the fracture is in the base metal or the weld, i.e., which is the stronger element. You can size your welds accordingly. As you say, "When in doubt, make it stout." By increasing the weld size such that the fracture is in the base metal, your weld is as strong as the material even if the unit stress is lower.

In your case, following the "Farm Code" is probably adequate. You have heard of the Farm Code haven't you? Its the welding standard used by many small wanna-be contractors and farmers. It affords the welder maximum latitude and allows the welder to do what he wants. There are no base metal requirements, no matching filler metal requirements, no preheat requirements, no electrode storage requirements, or welder qualification requirements. Tie wire and SMAW electrodes without flux are acceptable forms of filler metal for GTAW and bubble gum welds are acceptable. It is the most popular code used for "commercial quality" and I see it used frequently when I first arrive at various job sites. Its the code book with a red cover and back with no pages in between.

I say it in jest, but it is an attitude I see on job sites all the time.

Good luck and may your welds always be stronger than the metal being joined.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-20-2007 14:05
Hay Al you forgot the clothesracks for filler.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-20-2007 18:26
Oops! I forgot it, but it is allowed under the auspices of the Farm Code FC-2002.

Al
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-20-2007 18:28
LOL!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-21-2007 06:19
I jus read the FC 2002 under the general section. Yes I adhere to the Farm Code. Actually My little red book has 176 pages, and is titled "Forny Arc Welding Manual". It is the instruction book that came with the Forny "Farm Welder". What I do definatly falls under the GET "R" DONE catagory. The crap I fix often wasn't done right the first time, or I wouldn't need to fix it. It often was built "professionally" by followers of the farm code. What I do needs to be done on the cheap, otherwise repair is not a cost effective solution. I am generally not using exotic or higher strength materials, and there usually isn't a place to go to find out exactly what the material is for certain. Mild steel of some type, general production goods are built with material that doesn't have a paper trail. There absolutly is no engineered procedure or testing by an outside individual. I have seen plenty of things that broke and allso plenty that did not. I take an educated guess and try to get a good enough repair that some place else is now the weakest link. The crappy automotive welds shown on Ed Craig's site look like some they did at the auto frame plant. Those bad ones are supposed to be welded over by the repair people at the end of the line. Sometimes it happens, and sometimes it doesn't. Your term "commercial quality" summs it up. I frequently do better in My home shop than what many manufactured goods end up with, and they are supposedly done under controlled situations and with a proven method.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-21-2007 21:23
Dave, I don't doubt that anything you weld isn't as good as or better than what the manufacturer provided. Most of the repair work I did when I was welding was an improvement over what was provided by the manufacturer. That's what your customers, paying or not, need, a man with practical experience and a graduate of the "School of Hard Knocks". 

However, I don't believe what you provide in any way fall under the category of workmanship that is described in the "Other Red Book".

Best regards - Al
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-22-2007 05:08
Al, I do try to give at least a workable if not a good job. A friend of Mine who I have done a lot of work for since We were kids would tell Me that a repair needed a "few tack welds" and said that I overwelded everything. I probably did overweld, but My repairs stayed together. When We were in our early 20s He was teasing Me that He had a guy that welded for $10/hour [I probably wanted 12 or 15]. I was at His place when He was trying to assemble some parts the $10 guy had welded. These were angle iron "U" shapes 8' wide and 4' tall. They were distorted so much from the weld pulling during cooling that the open end of the "U" was less thasn 7' wide. He said "I can't understand it, He had them layed out on His garage floor"  I said "You got what You paid for" and left. My customers all under stand the Buzzzzzzz, Buzzzzzzz, but some don't understand much more.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ROV Deep Sea Chassis Welding