Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / calling all pipe hands!!! help!!!
- - By 1mancrew (**) Date 11-14-2007 03:15
Gentlemen,

I just got a call today to go test for a company that I have been trying to get in with for a little while now. Monday morning 7:00 am!! I have to do a 12" butt and a 12" on 12" branch! This is a bullet I have managed to dodge for the first thirteen years of my career but here it is. No more ducking it!  I have a little experience in saddling pipe in fabrication work but never where it really counted so any help you guys can give me i would greatly appreciate it.

All I know so far is that the vertical member should be cut to fit on the bottom piece and then trace the ID of the pipe to make the cut in the bottom or horizontal member. A freind of mine said to use a dimes width of root opening and weld the ears first so they don't close up on you. 6010 root 70+ the rest of the way out.

Thanks,
GH Weidman
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 11-14-2007 04:27
There are patterns available for doing a branch on t connection.  Combination Pipe Paterns from :  R.E.LEE CO., INC,.  Time is of  concern so try a local pipe fab supply outfit or welding supply company.  Sounds like a natural gas line test to me??
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 11-14-2007 04:35
Might review over your fitters blue book on how to layout using adding machine paper cause Id hate for you to show up with templates and they ask you to layout by hand. Alot of companies test you using the adding machine paper method just to see if you know what your are doing.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 11-14-2007 15:00
A gentleman posted this info a couple months back, so I made a link to it from my website:

http://www.billswelderrepair.com/TEMPLATES.html
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 11-15-2007 03:06
Thanks for all the input. When I talked to the inspector he asked me if I had a template for 12" so I've got that going for me at least. Also yes, this is for a gas and oil company here in front range Colorado.
Tommorow, I am going to practice all day (if I don't get called out on something that is!) on some 10" and some 6" I picked up. The technique should be the same.

Wish me luck! I'll keep y'all posted.

GH Weidman 
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 11-29-2007 02:33
Hey Guys,

Get this!!! I pulled into the yard to take my test about ten minutes early. Gates locked, nobody home so I call the inspector to see what gives and he told me he won't be coming out. He got fired late Friday afternoon and they didn't have another inspector available!

Oh well, gives me more time to practice.

I'll keep ya posted.

GH Weidman
Parent - By Justin O (**) Date 11-29-2007 07:01
do they need anymore welders im in west texas by new mexico
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / calling all pipe hands!!! help!!!