Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / PQR Test Question for D1.6 Stainless Steel
- - By eekpod (****) Date 11-16-2007 11:59
I'm preparing to qualify a procedure to D1.6 (07) S/S, this is my first time qualifying a procedure, and I have two questions.

1) If I weld my PQR test plate in the 1G flat position (full pen w/ backing) can I write a WPS for 3G vert up?

2) If I qualify my PQR test plate w/ joint B-U2a-GF (single V-groove) w/ backing, will this allow me to write a WPS for other joint's? I.E. B-U4a-GF (single bevel groove).

Basically I'm referring to section 4 "Table 4.1 WPS Qualification Variables".  I don't see weld joints listed as an essentional variable so I think it doesn't matter, but I want to make sure.
Also Table 4.1 Item 4.1 Positions says "In vertical welding, a change in the progression specified for any pass from upwards to downward or vice versa."   This doesn't mention anything about "a position from flat to vertical" is what I'm getting at.  Generally I'd say no it can't be done, but I can't find it per page and paragraph.

Thanks  Chris
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-16-2007 12:40
Chris,
You can't test a PQR in 1G and write the WPS for 3G.

Follow my thinking:
Essential Variables
Table 4.5(27) A change in position not qualified by Table 4.1
OK so you test in 1G but then try to write the WPS for 3G....Table 4.5 is a list of variable changes that require a new seperate PQR. You have changed from the position that you tested in (1G) to another position (3G) and Table 4.1 backs that up.

Table 4.1
Weld Type CJP, Position(tested) 1G nowhere in that row does it say anything other than 1F or 1G all thr way across the page.....sorry but you caqnnot test in 1G and use 3G in production with a WPS wriitten off the 1G PQR.

Next question about changing the groove type.... You have to stay within the variables listed in Table 4.5(31) and this first part pretty much sums it up. "A change in groove type". You are trying to test with a single V and change to a single bevel.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-16-2007 15:00
Whoops...Chris!!!! I completely missed the D1.6 in the title of your thread....I gave you info based off of D1.1.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 11-16-2007 22:11
I was reading your reply and I don't have the code at home, but I'm saying to myself, hhhmmm ,this sounds like D1.1 not D1.6, thanks anyway.

I woulnd't be surprised if it's similar, that I can't test in 1G and and then wrtite for 3g, but again I cound'lt find  it in writing.

So back to D1.1, now that you brought it up.  So when someone qualifies a procedure with a specific joint, (lets say a full pen) it's only good for that joint to test the welders to and for production?  I didj't realize it was also joint specific.  That really make's the fact that all those different joint configurations are pre-qualified a big benefit.  I couldn't imagine how much time and money it would take to qualify all those.  Which means that you need to know which joint configuration your going to use in production before you test the PQR test plates.  thanks chris
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-18-2007 15:44
Are you sure you have to qualify the WPS?

I seem to remember there are conditions where a prequalified WPS can be utilized in the same manner as with D1.1.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 11-19-2007 19:49 Edited 11-19-2007 19:53
A CJP or PJP groove weld in any position listed in 4.19 (F4.3) qualifies the WPS for all positions by 4.1.7 and 4.1.8. Your welder, however, may not be qualified to weld in those positions (See 4.8 & Table 4.4).
Parent - - By jerrykroll (**) Date 11-23-2007 15:30
For prequalifying a PQR, look carefully at the notes for Table 3.5 - there is
a lot of important information there on allowable, and restrictions for 3G, thickness,
and gas mixtures.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 11-23-2007 17:52
Thanks for your reply's so far.  I'm now back at the office w/ the code book in front of me.

Jerry, I'm not dealing w/ a prequalified WPS, I'm qualifying a WPS, so table 3.5 does not apply as I see it.

Rickc, I think you see what I'm seeing.
4.1.7 CJP weld qual limitations,  so again as I read it, if I pick a position per 4.1.9 test positions from figure 3, (1 g flat) in theory per 4.1.7 I can "weld in any position listed in 4.1.9 for all positions".  3G up is a listed position in figure 3 so I can, per the code, qualify a wps in 1G and weld in 3G because they are both listed in figure 3.
I find it strange that it not's isolated to 1G PQR test to 1g welding, 3g up PQR test, to 3g up welding, and that it allows one to switch positions because of the statement 4.1.7.  Especially when going from flat to vertical up which is what I'm doing. 

Would you agree?  Thanks Chris
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 11-26-2007 17:07
Yep, that's exactly how I read it.
The Table 4.1 #4.1 limitation on vertical progression gives me some concern about intent but, the code is very clear in 4.1.7 and 4.1.8 about the positions the WPS would be qualified for. Is it unusual? Nah, some codes are far more restrictive than others and you still have to qualify your welder's for 3G by Table 4.4.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 12-12-2007 00:48
For what it's worth, the PQR plate passed it's tensile requirments, woo hoo
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 02-03-2009 21:29
That throws me off too, If you can qualify a PQR in 1G position, and be qualified for any position, whats to say you have to be limited to vert. up?
you could simply state on your WPS up or down progression. or am I missing something?
I'm looking at '99 version
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / PQR Test Question for D1.6 Stainless Steel