Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Attracting NDT Inspectors
- - By BRovitoGamesa Date 11-17-2007 17:03
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to contact or encourage people that have had the theory part of NDT training to come to Pennsylvania to get their hours for level 1 in? We are offering 17.50 an hr plus major benefits also they will belong to the United Steel Workers Union.
We have some welding needs too but seems like these inspectors are tougher to find.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-17-2007 19:06
BRovito

That wage is what one would expect for an entry apprentice.  I would think if your looking for that kind of talent than there is plenty available.

On the other hand if your looking for somebody with some experience than your really not offering a competative wage.  I'm sure if I'm wrong your ranks will swell instantly and your problems will be over.
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 11-18-2007 03:57
I agree with Lawrence.... that's chump change for an experienced person with various certifications. You should be swamped with entry level personal applications. If this is for in house wages for inspectors at $17.50, I can only imagine what the welders are getting paid.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 11-17-2007 19:12
try contacting some of the ndt schools
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-17-2007 19:37 Edited 11-19-2007 04:41
edit: Upon reconsideration, I believe others have answered this more eloquently than I have, therefore I desist.
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 11-18-2007 04:10
Where in PA? My brother has the training but no experience. How can he contact you?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-18-2007 16:09
I hate to be crass, but money talks.

Depending on your location, the wages offered may or may not be in line with the cost of living in your areas.

The wonderful world of NDT is similar to welding in that there is a shortage of skilled technicians. Anyone that has the hours of training would most likely have some work related experience to qualify as a Level I, that being the case, they can be certified and not what I would consider entry level.

I compare the level I certification akin to a welder with a simple plate qualification in the flat position. Many welders employed in the U.S. work their entire career with that one certification. Likewise, many NDT people work as Level I technicians for a multitude of reasons, number one being that the employer doesn't train or certify their people beyond what is necessary to work the job.

Another question is what NDT method are you looking for. If you perform penetrant inspection only and use only the solvent removable method the wages would be different than what you can expect to pay a radiographer or someone that can perform ultrasonic examinations. There are about 70 different NDT methods used by industry. Each has varying numbers of training hours and related work experience requirements. Some of the more complex test methods are more difficult to learn and justify higher wages.

Once again, money talks. If you want to attract qualified people you have to pay wages that beat MacDonald's and Burger King. In my area, those are the wages you are offering and you wouldn't get anyone to stay longer than is necessary for them to find a better position elsewhere.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 11-30-2007 21:57
We have 20 year old Boilermaker Union apprentices making close to $18.00 at entry level plus pension, annuity and health benefits.  They also get a 5% raise raise every six months and we can't seem to find anyone who wants to do this work!  The pay rate for NDT is very low.  If you want to attract qualified people, try doubling it.
Parent - - By dougsnell Date 04-01-2008 21:47
OK. I have all my Level II academics. 108 hrs of AUT as helper. Where do I apply for this $17.50 job?

Doug
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-02-2008 01:56
Try RTD in Houston if you have AUT
Parent - By g32141 (**) Date 04-04-2008 01:10
So you basically worked 2 weeks setting bands on the pipe correct?
You're all ready to drag up and break out? Good luck to you.
Parent - By Goose-em (**) Date 04-02-2008 12:22
I will do it for 17.50 an hour plus my standard rate plus all expenses and travel time to and from PA. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Attracting NDT Inspectors