Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Flux Core Question?
- - By mgrisham (*) Date 11-19-2007 03:28 Edited 11-19-2007 03:33
Hello,

I haven't used Flux Core a whole lot and I'm getting ready to take a vertical, over head and horizontal weld test, so my question is do you use a vertical down progression or vertical up progression?

The test is a 60 degree V Groove on 5/8 Carbon Steel w/backing. Also, should I run it forward or backwards. Does that make sense?

I know you can weld vertically using an upward progression w/a MIG, b/c I do it when I'm welding on thicker steel and need to achieve good penatration. 

Any suggestions?
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 11-19-2007 04:44
Vertical up with flux-core most of the time. There are some types of wire that can be run vertical down for specific reasond but if its a structural test (D1.1 for instance) its gonna be vert up Im sure.
Parent - - By mgrisham (*) Date 11-19-2007 20:42
Okay, thanks. What about flat or horizontal, do you drag or push it?  Also, I have another question if you or anybody else can help me with.  Any suggestions on how the best way to pass a weld test on 1/2" Inconel? E8018 3/4" Groove weld in 2G 3G & 4G positions I had trouble hearing the guy on the phone, so I wasn't sure if it's with or without backing. Any tricks of the trade when using this rod? I couldn't make out if he said it would be E8018-C1 or B2. I've only used it one time to weld a tooth back onto a Dozier and that was more than 10 years ago.
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 11-20-2007 05:09 Edited 11-20-2007 05:14
Im sure its fairly similar to running 7018. I run alot of 9018 B3 on chromoly parts and they are pretty similar in arc characteristics. See if they have a wps for your test. I wiould think they would have one if they are testing specifically for a certain part or weldment that they make on a daily basis. This would also include preheat and post heat info as well. I wouldnt be able to nail down exactly what the test would be for or involve without some sort of procedure. Doesnt sound too hard though simple 2,3 and 4G I would call back and ask what the procedure was exactly though for the test and ask about heat-treating too. Being that its a 1/2 plate it might not need it but you never can tell. Oh yah and you'll want to drag your flux-core keeping your hand on about a 10 to 15 degree angle infront (aslo called the back hand method). If you try and push it it tries to flip slag up infront and under your puddle. This is why its best to run it up hill too. You want to look at it as you are getting into nothing but new steel as you progress. Hope this helps some.
Parent - - By mgrisham (*) Date 11-20-2007 06:25
Man, thank you so much for the reply. It defenitely helped. It's too late to call them back for the WPS because I have to be there in the morning at 8am. I went online and printed off a bunch of info on E8018 and it gave me the skinny on preheating temps. So I feel prepared for that test. It's the "Inconel" test that has me a little freaked out. Do you have any experience with it? Anybody?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-20-2007 09:42
Grisham,

"Inconel"  is a trade name for a pretty large variety of nickle alloys.    Some are austinetic and others are precipitation hardenable.

Without a specific name it is impossible to give you full informaiton... However if special preheat is required it must be mentioned in your WPS.

Surface prep will be important no matter which Inconel is welded.  Argon backing for open roots may be required if it is thin wall and full pen.  Surface prep is often very similar to 300 series stainless for cleanliness and abrasive choices.

Like many of the super alloys some of the Inconels will have a rather sluggish puddle and a bit of a greenish arc plasma about the weld puddle.

Starts and stops can be critical places as far as crack propigation... Never starve a weld termination, always fill craters to at least flush and best to be slightly convex unless WPS specifies otherwise.  With GTAW tail off on the amperage until the puddle is frozen completely before terminating the arc. Pause and fill terminations with SMAW.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Flux Core Question?