Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / need help with wiring my welder
- - By yotaman Date 11-20-2007 07:37
New to this forum. Getting back into mig welding after 18yrs (use to work in bodyshop) and don't know squat about wiring.  I have a snap-on ya205a mig.  The specs are as follows:
Primary Volt   208/230
Primary Amps  18/16
Phase  single
Freq  60hz
Secondary Volt 20
Secondary Amps 130
Duty Cycle 20%
O.C.V. Max  28
The welder power cord is a 16-3 (blk, white, grn) with no plug.  I thought of using the dryer outlet 3 plug, but after checking things out in the main box, it does not appear that the neutral and ground buss are connected.  Therefore, my dryer outlet does not have a ground.  So I thought, add a breaker since my main box is in the garage and I can install a receptacle just under the main box (lucky I guess).  So, I will need a 240v 30A double pole breaker, right?  Then use a 10-3 to the receptacle?  Based on the welder specs and power cord, what kind of receptacle do I need and what kind of plug will I need to connect to the power cord?  Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-21-2007 07:18
Your dryer outlet relies on the neutral and ground being connected somewhere, somehow. More recently apliance plugs & outlets are often 4 prong, 2 hots a neutral and a ground. Modern electrical pannels don't connect the ground and neutral busses, EACH BUSS has a ground lead to a rod driven in the ground. You DO NEED a doubble pole breaker if You add a circut. The 16 amps listed on the welder requires a minimum 20 amp feed, that is #12 wire unless unusually long. Your welder needs 2 conductors with ground. There is nothing wrong with running a 3 conductor with ground wire, that enables You to tap out 115 volt if You need it at a later time. #10 wire and a 30 amp breaker is not a problem other than higher cost, and gives flexability for the future. You could hard wire the welder cord right to the breaker, or You could use a 30 amp 3 or 4 prong recepticle and plug. I used a dryer cord on My old farm welder. You can get a recepticle and plug from a welding suply store, a farm store or a good hardware store. Home Depot & Lowes should have the recepticle & apliance cord, maybee the plug. On the welder the green wire is the ground, the other 2 are hot.
Parent - By yotaman Date 11-24-2007 03:21
thnks for that bit of info. aloha.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 11-26-2007 18:50
Double check/Triple verify what voltage is at the receptacle. If the machine has an input linkage for specific primary voltages; the machine may not work very good. ie if the house voltage is 208 and the input linkage is 240 the machine will weld "colder". Or if the machine is linked for 208 and the receptacle is 240 the machine will weld "hotter".
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / need help with wiring my welder