Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / cheap two holer
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-21-2007 00:52
Avoid buying spendy flange levelers, (2 holers). Take some big stainless ball bearings, and join 2 of them at the tops with 1 bent 70+ rod so as to where if you hold the rod at the bend the bearings will hang perfectly against each other. Following me? Upon getting your 2 hole measurement, the object is to stretch the ball bearings apart enough to where they sit in the flange holes opposite each other. If you have 2 sets than you can set a magnetic torpedo level across the bearings to get your 2 hole level measurement.

Other welders give me crap for being a cheapo, but I think it's because they are too proud to admit that their 2 holers cost 200 bucks more than mine, (12 bucks).
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 11-21-2007 04:25
I can kind of see what your talking about but Im not quite on the same page yet. Do the ball bearings need to be slightly larger than the flange holes or fit further inside the holes? Sorry...can you take a picture? You have my attention really, my two holers some how seem to be capable of sprouting legs and walking. Need to put homing beacons in the damn things or something.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 11-21-2007 23:29
I've seen those before, they work great. The ball bearings are bigger than the hole and just sit up against the outside of the hole and you put your level on top of the bearings.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-22-2007 20:27
Exactly....
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-23-2007 07:19
i see what you mean and you said 12 bucks for them but did you figure your labor and if your like moest welders you get a 4 hr minimum and last i heard you were getting 85 an hr that would be 352.00 for a set of 2 holers. I got 2 sets of mathey dearman stainless spring loaded 2 holers for 75 a set for a total of 150 for 4 2 holers that would make mine 152.00 cheaper than your 1 set lol  just trying to pick on ya a bit S/D no offense meant or intended
Parent - - By IRWelder (*) Date 11-23-2007 14:51
Hey all. I very seldom use two hole pins anymore. Most fab welders up here use those red flange wizard magnetic torpedo levels stuck across the holes no need for anything else. Any  level with a strong magnet works well.
Just my experience and observations.
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 11-23-2007 15:27
I still like the wow factor w/ the ball bearings the best . . . . people who haven't seen em just can't help but stop and look.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / cheap two holer