Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME IX question
- - By ctacker (****) Date 11-21-2007 01:30
I guess I will be buying the ASME IX codebook but in the meantime i have a question.

My company  has been certifying welders to a wps that was made to ASME IX code, it shows a 3G v-groove on 1-1/2" plate but all the welders are testing on 1" plate.
I questioned my QA manager and he says that will let the welders weld up to 8 inches thick. not being familiar with ASME I was wondering if everything is legit there.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-21-2007 01:38
The welders would only have to test on 1/2" for most processes. The qualification range of the WPS and the qualification range of the welders using the WPS are separate and unrelated ranges.

The 1/2" test wouold let the welders weld up to "max yto be welded" deposited weld metal thickness.

The statement of "certifying welders to" is somewhat misleading. A welder does not necessarily certify to use a WPS. They only qualify using a WPS and may be qualiifed to use any wps using ranges within their qualification limits.

A person only qualified to deposit 1/4" of weld metal is qualified to weld using a WPS for material 8" Thick. That person can only weld up to a 1/4" thick deposited weld metal.

Hope this helps.

Gerald
Iuka Mississipi
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 11-21-2007 01:58
yes it helps, my wording may be a bit off. I know a welder dont certify to use a wps, they are handed a wps and a pile of plates (2@1"x5"x8" with bevels,1@3/8x3" for backing and runoff  tabs) and a sketch of the fitup and the criteria we look for during inspection!
I guess i will have to get familiar with ASME also.
Thanks

Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-21-2007 15:09
If you extend the thickness range on the WPS to that which is allowed by ASME (which you can do without requalification) the problem goes away. There is no point in limiting a WPS to a single thickness.
Technically you are correct. If your WPS says 1 1/2" you have to use 1 1/2". But ASME doesn't require a single thickness.I operates in ranges. Take advantage of the thickness ranges. The only time you would not take advantage of the full allowed ranges is for some specific engineering reason. If that doesn't exist open up the thicknesses allowable.
Parent - - By tab_1999 (**) Date 12-04-2007 17:47
Your WPS is limited by its supporting PQR
If your PQR is Qualified using 1 1/2", your limits are 8. Anything less is typically 2X the plate tested.

Welder Quals are limited by the thickness (2x) of the base metal tested and must be within the limits of the WPS

If my memory serves me correctly.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-05-2007 03:12
Welders only need test on 1/2" thick material to be qualified up to 8 inches (in most instances) however it is very important that whomever is recording the performance qualification list that a minimum of 3 weld layers were deposited!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME IX question