Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Laying out a Standard Wall 12 on 12 Branch
- - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-22-2007 02:03 Edited 07-26-2009 19:50
I posted this on a section about 798 pipeline and I figure if I put it here, others will see it and comment or add to the discussion. Unless you have seen this done, it is a LOT more complicated written down than it is doing it. I would recommend a book on template development because that is all this is. You can do the pi calculation on 12 inch pipe to give the length of the adding machine tape, but every time I did it I wound up either 1/8 long or 1/4 short, so I just wraped the adding machine tape around the pipe, cut it straight, and there ya go. Tape is the proper length for the piece of pipe you have.
Here goes.
Talk to Ross and check in the educators section and let them sell you how to do it or educate you and what to do!
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 11-22-2007 02:27 Edited 11-22-2007 02:30
i would like to learn this method,but i dont know where to get an adding machine tape.or even what it is exactly
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-22-2007 05:14
The adding machine tape is the long roll of paper strip, like what comes out of a cash register. NOT stickey tape. Places like Staples should have it.
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 11-22-2007 02:29
you never did say y you were going to regret listing this on sholp talk
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 11-22-2007 05:36
Ought to get yah one of those pipe disectors. It sure made my life alot easier. Handiest tool Ive got! Thegangbox.com has them.
Parent - By banshee35 (**) Date 11-22-2007 02:43
I always used a 12" hip square instead of a straight edge for making lines down the pipe, easier for me to keep them square to the pipe.
Parent - - By RGL (*) Date 11-22-2007 07:56 Edited 11-27-2007 01:19
Hoping this is not out of line, there is a Hand Held Calculator on the website link below that is very user friendly and can layout just about anything, including Intersecting TEE's at any angle, including the HOLE layout.  You just input the dimensions it prompts you for, including Material Thickness and it will give you all the layout dimension's you need for the layout.  Just draw a BASE line around the pipe or tube, then draw equally spaced vertical lines, (16 spaces for 12"),from the baseline per attached Manual page, mark off the lengths the Calculator gives you, join the marks around the pipe, and theirs your mitered piece at any angle you input . You don't need to know the math and its Dead Accurate.  You can use the Layout Manual that comes with it like a computer monitor for visual instruction and direction, see attachments below.  It will also layout Square to Rounds, Round Elbows, Cones, Stair Cases, handrails and much more. I used the Square to Round program to layout the Large Square to Round PHOTO Attached. It always reads dimensions in DECIMAL form 1st,  then in FRACTIONAL form 2nd,  to the closest 1/32",+/- 1/64".  This is for the person that doesn't know his/her Decimal readouts. It also has Utility programs for Drill & Tap sizes, Metric Conversions, Pulley sizes, including RPM and Belt lengths and more.  This is a hell of a tool for people that don't have any layout experience or know the math.  The site shows all the pages in the manual.  Be sure to read all the "NOTES" in the pages, it helps things make sense.  This Calculator is a Real Tool, its not a gimmick or a toy.  Its worth a look at.

http://www.sheetmetallayoutcalculator.com
Attachment: Lg.SquaretoRound.jpeg (57k)
Attachment: INTERSECTING_TEEBranch.jpg (149k)
Attachment: INT_TEE_HOLE_Layout.jpg (121k)
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-22-2007 23:20 Edited 11-22-2007 23:23
[deleted]
Parent - - By bamafn003 (*) Date 11-26-2007 00:21
bigk is right you still got to lay it out its very seldom do i need a calculator ,just wanted to add you can get a small stanley tape measure that measures in o.d. on the backside of the tape ,it can help you out if you dont have any paper or need to disect some larger diameter pipes ,it has helped me a few times.
Parent - - By CK Welding (**) Date 01-06-2008 06:10
[deleted]
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-07-2008 04:29
[deleted]
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 01-09-2008 19:32
Do a search under EZ pipe software you need a plotter for big layouts but a printer will work to you just have to cut and tape patterns together

http://www.ezpipe.com/
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-17-2008 01:55
THis should bring it back to the top of the list
Parent - - By Jake331 (**) Date 05-14-2008 05:14
why do the measurements change  when the OD is the same on light and heavy wall pipe?  I'm wanting to take the test soon...
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-14-2008 10:12 Edited 05-14-2008 10:51
Not to be a total smart aleck, but if you have to ask, you need to practice! It's all about radial cut vs. the mitre cut when orienting the torch tip ???(see Franklin's "black book") Think of it this way, when finished cutting, is the fit up at the OD or the ID? If you cut apiece of pipe in a band saw, then weld it back together, the OD is what matched up as far as the weld was concerned... Now, cut two ends of pipe with a torch beveling machine for a vee groove, and the ID's are what matches.
So when making branches onto headers, the thicker the sch., the shorter the layout dimensions, because the smaller ID is....?????? oh heck, just get a Graves Blue  Book and cut some out, use smaller pipe (6" on 6") you're gonna need to learn how to handle a torch. After you've done a few it'll all make sense. When it comes to lay-out, there's no substitute for hands on!!! I used to think I could follow instructions until I had to put my first bicycle together on X-mas morn...

I always kept a piece of 2" X 1/4" X 1' long angle iron handy for layout lines on pipe and used with 2 chain vise grips, it's a poor mans jewel clamp on small bore.
Parent - By Jake331 (**) Date 05-17-2008 02:30
yea I gotcha.. I wasn't thinking. I need to snatch some pipe from this plant and starting layin one out here at the rv park in the evenings. see if I can't piss my neighbors off hah
Parent - By thewelder (***) Date 05-21-2008 03:41
HI SUPERFLUX, can you post a "pic" of the fit-up, "I don't see the pic on my head" can you help us. thank you.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Laying out a Standard Wall 12 on 12 Branch