Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / WABO welder certs. How Much?
- - By twainstar1 Date 11-22-2007 20:47
Moving to the seattle area and was wondering the cost of the WABO welder certs. I'm from Michigan and paid around $400 at a local Community College once upon a time for a 2G 5G 6" sch 80 pipe no radiograh just destuctive . Should I expect the same? Hell in Michigan if you are half retarded and can pull a trigger most places let you weld structural. Looking for 3G FCAW 1" unlimited and same for SMAW.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-23-2007 06:19
Hello twainstar1, WABO testing pricing is completely dependent upon the price that the testing facility decides upon. Many of the community colleges do administer this testing as well as some of the private testing laboratories and certain shops throughout the state. The main difference between this testing and some of the testing that goes on elsewhere is relative to the facilities that the tests are given at. WABO dictates that testing will be done in a certified facility which is audited and re-certified on a 3 year cycle by WABO. The tests are based on AWS D1.1 codes and the test configurations are typically the same as D1.1, most are likely visually inspected and destructively tested, although they could be tested in other manners. Radiography and UT would likely drive the price up considerably, so I don't know that I would necessarily scoff at a destructive test, unless you just like to spend more money. Regards, aevald
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 11-23-2007 07:29
The Wabo cert doesnt do you alot of good at alot of places, many places test you regardless of having it, some of the smaller places I've seen will take it because they dont want to spend the money to test you! better to avoid those places!

before i spend the money, i would do some talking and see if you will even need it!
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / WABO welder certs. How Much?