Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / eutectic buzz box
- - By woodman Date 11-22-2007 22:39
  Hello from rainy Homer Alaska on Thanksgiving,  (storm warnings in the gulf-but atleast kept me from going to Kodiak with a landingcraft and home for Thanksgiving).

I bought a used 220 eutectic buzz box for 100 bucks. Cant find much info about them.  Ground plugs into high or low and has a dial for for finer adj.  Seems to weld ok but doesnt do so hot on standard 7018 although I did run some ac7018 3/32 and it did fine.
  Has anyone out there messed with one of these before.  Any info would be appreciated.

thanks

Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 11-26-2007 18:42
Use the low tap for the XX18 electrodes. This will provide the highest open circuit voltage for a given amperage. Use an AC voltmeter to verify the difference in open circuit voltage. Use the high tap when maximum amperage is required and low open circuit voltage is not an issue.
Parent - - By woodman Date 11-29-2007 19:59
Thanks for the info. I just got back to town so Ill give it a try soon.
I havent heard of Eutectic welders before. Are they very common and do the have a good reputation?

Thanks
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 11-29-2007 22:17
My guess is that Eutectic didn't build that machine. I believe they had it branded for them by some manufacturer like Forney, Century, P&H or maybe even Miller. Post a photo, model numbers and it may be identified by someone on this forum.
Buzz boxes are pretty simple machines to build; a step down transformer and controls by tapping off the weld side coils. No fans no moving parts. Low duty cycle & usually low (less than 180 amps) amperage output.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / eutectic buzz box