Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New member seeking answers
- - By knslash (*) Date 11-25-2007 23:02
hello men, this is my first post but I have been lurking here for some time now. Great forum, and a first class bunch of guys I might add. I need advice concerning a new rig I'm building. I built my first welding rig back in 1982 on a 1975 Chevy one ton. My second and current rig that I'm using is a 1988 Ford f450. I recently bought a 1999 low milage Ford f550 and am building a new bed for it. My queston concerns all the new computer eqiupment on my newest truck. Didn't have computers on my old trucks and am worried about what affects my welder ( sa-200) will have on the electronics of the truck. I've never personally seen a computer short out in a truck because of welding, but thought I ask your opinions on this subject. By the way, I asked the local Ford dealer and he was no help. Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 11-26-2007 01:35
u talking about y u weld on the bed on the truck,just undo the battery ca.maybe when ur done,ground the welder to the frame/bed.cant have to many GOOD grounds.
Parent - - By knslash (*) Date 11-26-2007 03:36
52lincoln,thankyou- yes I'm talking about fabbing spools and other weldments on the bed of my rig.  On my current set-up I have lead rollers with my stinger lead "hot", and ground lead direct to the bed of my bed so that I am able to weld on the piece that I am working on without having to use the ground lead. I have used this set-up for 20+ years now with no problems, but am concerned now that I'm going to be using a newwer model truck. I've never seen other rig welders disconnect their batteries to work, and I'd look at their rigs now but I'm all alone out here (eastern New Mexico). Not many rig welders out here. Hoping someone with a newer truck can give me advice.

Thanks-
Ray
Parent - By downhandonly (***) Date 11-27-2007 03:39
had an 01 dodge 1 ton cummins with a skid fabbed off the back no problem, have an 06 same thing but with a deck still do the same thing... don't stress yourself out. just git 'er done.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 11-27-2007 19:04
If your worried just put a permanent ground to the bed of the truck right around where you would be working.  In the refineries they had a rule that you couldn't have your ground more then 18" from wherever your were welding so you wouldn't take a chance of arcing through valves and bearings or anything with really close tolerances.
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 11-27-2007 04:35
Don't think you have anything to worry about.  I'm running a 2000 F550 and have welded on the back of the truck lots of times.  And welded a few things onto the truck as well.  No problems with the trucks computer.  I don't, however, have a permanent ground lead connected to the truck frame - most of my work is off the truck.
Parent - By knslash (*) Date 11-27-2007 22:37
Thanks guys, your replies have helped to set my mind at ease. I just needed to hear from other rod-burners with their own rigs.You know how it is, can't afford to be down for a day waiting on truck parts or broke down 200 miles away from home. Thanks again, and great forum!

Ray
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-28-2007 00:14
If I was worried about frying my computer I would probably take off my ground wire from the battery, but I would check and see if that might help. Just my .02 cents worth.
Parent - By knslash (*) Date 11-28-2007 06:48
Mr. Gravitt, I appreciate the reply.

thanks-
Ray
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New member seeking answers