Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / is 6g acc. for D1.1
- - By three tracks (*) Date 11-26-2007 05:26
is a 6g exray weld accetable for D1.1  Ive passed several vert.\overhead 1" tests, but not sure about the 6g
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-26-2007 18:21
If you took the original tests to meet ASME requirements, then I would say no.

The acceptance criteria for ASME doesn't have a maximum limit imposed on the sum of the open defects when evaluating the bend tests. Thus, ASME is not as stringent as AWS D1.1 for the acceptance criteria on bend tests.

The acceptnce criteria for the visual examination of the welded test piece is also less stringent for ASME than it is for AWS. Some of the weld attributes evaluated for an AWS test are not considered for an ASME Section IX test (example; undercut and root or face reinforcement are not attributes to be examined per Section IX).

I don't typically get involved with radiography of AWS test samples, so I won't comment on that issue. There are folks here that have better insight on that subject than I do.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 11-27-2007 15:26
I think the 6G x-ray would be acceptable to AWS D1.1 as long as the x-ray report indicates that AWS D1.1 section 6 is the accept / reject criteria and someone signs off on the visual inspection of the welded coupon.  If the original report indicates ASME Sect 9 and is properly documented, your Engineering department can also use section 4.1.2.1 "previous performance qualification" for allowing and accepting a previous ASME performance certification test.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-27-2007 15:49
Hello Bill;

Have you compared the acceptance criteria of ASME Section IX against that of AWS D1.1? How do they compare?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-15-2007 03:56
Al, are you saying that reinforcement of a weld isnt an issue under ASME IX?  I have just started getting into that codebook and we are working on an 25ton AOD vessel in which our forming supplier welded the lid and bottom section together,the welds are reinforced by 3/16"-1/4",   I was only instructed to give a final pass inspection as its a vessel for our company! I started marking it up as a D1.1 job Only because I'm familiar with D1.1 !
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-15-2007 13:40
Section IX is only for welding procedure and welder (and brazing) qualification. It has no acceptance criteria applicable to vessels or piping.

You have to defer to the appropriate construction code, e.g., Section VIII if it is an unfired vessel, or B31.3 for process piping. ASME typically does not provide detail visual acceptance criteria as does most AWS welding standards and codes. Remember, if you've read it once in the forum you've read it twenty times; ASME is a minimalist code (not my words). Don't be overly surprised at the lack of detail, that's why I always recommend that my clients develop their own acceptance criteria and include it with any RFQs and POs.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By David Lee (*) Date 12-16-2007 01:35
I think the question was / is an 6G an acceptable test for AWS D1.1 ? Section 4 of D1.1 outlines the requirements for quailifications of procedure's and preformance of welder's.This is dependant on the diameter of the pipe tested and the grade of the material as well as the filler material.
As far as what this procedure will qualifiy. A 6G or 6GR will quailify that diameter pipe and greater as well as fillet and full penetration groove welds with the same charteristics. But here again only to the base and filler metals in the same "p" grouping. refer to ASME. The use of preheat or post weld heat will dictate even further. Your procedure must dictate the use of all varibles appicable to your base material and process used.
Bottom line a 6G on pipe with the correct procedure will support a 3G on plate. A pipe procedure will support plate but not so much visa versa, just mainley fillet welds and diameters well over the size of the test.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-16-2007 15:39
Maybe I missed a turn or a twist in the road, but I believe the question has moved in a different direction from the original question.

The question now relates to the inspection of a production weld and not a welder or procedure qualification question.

Help us out here ctacker!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-16-2007 18:00
Al,

I believe David is on to something if his assumption is correct. (three tracks original poster) especially given that the original poster never mentioned ASME, only that they'd taken a 6G. The poster may have left out the r but under "4.26 CJP Groove Welds for Tubular Connections" is clearly stated that ASME is not the only code using 6g or 6gr for testing. however the poster did word it in such a manner as to imply it was some other code originally being worked to. Again it would take another assumption to assume that the other code; if in fact it was another code, was ASME and not one of the myriad of other codes from around the world.

Whole and short of it, the original post was poorly worded without sufficient detail to answer it reliably in my opinion.

After the original post, thats another story, I believe it's threatening to take a life of it's own, and i'll not add to it.

Respectfully,
Gerald
Parent - - By three tracks (*) Date 12-30-2007 01:09
sorry there wasnt enough info. i dont know enough about codes. i have a d1.1 cert. i know what that qaulifies me for. what i dont know is if i test out for a 6g xray weld will it cover a d1.1 unlimited vert. and overhead cert........
Parent - By tab_1999 (**) Date 01-03-2008 12:35
As long as your term for unlimited is limited to position. The term unlimited in D1.1 usually refers to thickness, which is based on the thickness of the test base metal.
The term "All" usually refers to position.
Its critical that you refer to the appropriate table & reference notes to the exact type of 6G test. e.g. Pipe or Tube

Good Luck
Tom
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-17-2007 01:06
Didn't mean to run off topic, but i was gonna ask that question and it seemed like a good time to ask! :)
Parent - By crazycajun (**) Date 01-09-2008 14:16
so yo are saying that you took the 3g 4g plate test. as far as i know 6G-R is the welders test for structual (which is d1.1)6g is for pipe welders down here where i am from if you weld structual you test 6g-r. so jsut go for the 6g-r and you have your bases covered.
Parent - By crazycajun (**) Date 01-09-2008 14:20
so yo are saying that you took the 3g 4g plate test. as far as i know 6G-R is the welders test for structual (which is d1.1)6g is for pipe welders down here where i am from if you weld structual you test 6g-r. so just go for the 6g-r and you have your bases covered.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / is 6g acc. for D1.1