Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Pickling and passivation
- - By Trach Date 11-26-2007 14:32
Our Pickiling/passivation bath made of PVC inside and of a steel structure outside just keep craking and leaking. Is there any other plastic or whatever product that can contain our nitric and hydrofluoric acid? We are thinking of building an new bigger bath but I'm just not sure if the PVC-steel method is the best we can use.

by the way this furum is great

Thanks
Parent - By chall (***) Date 11-26-2007 20:10
From memory I'll suggest looking into the product data sheets from the manufacturer of the pickling products you use.  Either the MSDS or the product information sheet should specify how to store the material.

The last pickling product we used was supplied in a plastic container.  Unless you are using some very aggressive acids, you should be able to store them relatively simply.

Sorry I can't be of better help.  Maybe if you post the product identification, someone will offer better advice.

Charles
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 11-26-2007 20:24
You can use safely high density polyethylene (HDPE), polypropylene, rubber lined or epoxy lined carbon steel.
I prefer them over PVC. Teflon is fine but very expensive.
DON'T use FRP (fiberglass reinforced polyester), it doesn't withstand hydrofluoric acid.
Giovanni S.  Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil   
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Pickling and passivation