Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / meaning: girth welding
- - By katrutro (*) Date 11-26-2007 18:45
hi fellows,

I have a questions due my mother languaje is not english.
When Do you use girth welding term?. I always see it in pipe  welding , but I do not how translate in spanish... that´s the reason that I need to know when I use it.

regards
Parent - - By Bonniweldor (**) Date 11-26-2007 19:10 Edited 11-26-2007 19:14
Square cut two pipe ends.  Now place them end to end as a joint.  If subsequently welded, this would be a girth weld joint

The cut plane (section) of the pipe end describes a circle.  Girth describes this [general] circular shape/geometry.  Girth: around the perimeter.

Oblique angle joints between pipe are also girth welds (section shape here is oval, hence generalized use of term "girth").  Joining of large formed cylinders (## meters diameter), as for pressure vessels are also girth welds.  The practical aspects of pipe or vessel girth welding may be different and are context specific.

Hope clear.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 11-26-2007 20:28
Thank you very much, Bonnie. I didn't know either the meaning of girthweld. You know, English is neither my mother language.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil 
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-26-2007 20:44
Girth welds and circumferential welds are both used to describe the same joint, it is a weld around something. That is in contrast to a longitudinal joint that is along the longitudinal axis of something such as along the length of a tank or pipe. The attached sketch shows it better than I can describe in words alone.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Mauricio Ibarra (*) Date 11-27-2007 01:17
Thank you bonnie and Al, you were very clear in the meanings......

K-tru
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / meaning: girth welding