Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Fillet weld PQR
- - By ctacker (****) Date 11-30-2007 22:00
I am looking at an old PQR and it shows 1/4" fillet weld on one side with no weld on one side, according to D1.1 2006 4.11.2 it says you need 2 welds, 1 single pass and 1 multi pass. It looks like it was done as a performance test and not actually a procedure. am i correct or is it a good PQR?
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 12-01-2007 00:19
That's how I read it. Is there a drawing/picture of the coupon? Figure 4.37 on Page 184 shows a welder qual. vs. Figure 4.19-20 on page 169-170 showing a procedure qualification coupon.
Maybe they ran two coupons instead of combining them into one coupon and you're seeing one of two PQRs to support a WPS?
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-01-2007 00:39
there is only 1 PQR and it does only show a 1/4 inch weld on one side of a tee joint, i also ran across another that was that was  the same but had a 3/4 inch fillet, one was mild steel and the other was stainless, the way i see it is they are not PQR's . the testing agency tested them as PQR's. they are dated from the 80's, maybe things have changed since then, i havent had the time to dig out some old code books and see!

the coupons were broke and had a macroetch! same as a welder performance qual. fillet test would be handled!
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-03-2007 03:03
anyone else wanna put thier 2 cents in?
Parent - - By weldeng13 (*) Date 12-24-2007 18:36
The "normal" fillet weld soundness test has the largest single pass and the smallest multiple pass usually 5/16" and a 3/8" and one test plate is used.  Many fabricators have used one test plate for each weld (single/multipass) for some reason.  If the WPS only has a 1/4" fillet single pass, do you need a multipass test as well?  From a technical/engineering point, if you are only making single pass welds I do not think you have to qualify multipass welds unless you have to do a repair for deficient leg size, then it could be questioned.  From cost perspective, material and macroing one Tee - joint should be half the cost of two Tee - joints.

I think this could stand as a PQR assuming you have the information on how it was made.
Parent - By David Lee (*) Date 12-29-2007 05:22
The code does seperate the two.
Your question seems to be will a muti-pass weld support a single pass weld.
Or visa-versa
I dont myself see anything in the code restricting a max multi-pass fillet weld size. The code refers you to 5.30 for adding additional weld metal for unacceptable under run of a fillet weld.
I believe the code addresses this differently because as you said the "standard" fillet weld is 1/4" to 5/16".
After that you may need to think of multi-pass weld's.
Do you need a separate WPS for multi-pass weld's, No just include it in your current WPS.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Fillet weld PQR