Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The grain in plate steel
- - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-04-2007 02:34
I've never been able to tell which way the grain runs in a sheet of steel.  How do you tell?  Thanks.  T
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 12-04-2007 11:57
If you have a full sheet, it runs the length.  If you are dealing with cut peices, it's hard to tell
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-04-2007 13:56
MDG is right, but I'll tell it in a different way.
You're talking of "sheets" of steel. Sheets have been rolled, either hot or cold rolled; so the grains run in the same direction of rolling. MGD said the same thing with different words.
When just small pieces are involved, you can't say which was the rolling direction, that's why MDG said it was difficult to know.
Only way is to look at the piece in the metallographyc microscope.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 12-04-2007 14:27
Thanks for the back up Giovanni!!

Mark
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-04-2007 19:52
You welcome, Mark.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-05-2007 14:00
Thanks Guys.  I thought there was some way to tell just by looking and somehow I just missed out on what to look for.  Tom
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 12-05-2007 14:32
One way you'll be able to find out is if the plate has to be bent.  Depending on the radius of the bend, if you bend it with the "grain" the plate may tear/ crack because your escentially trying to fold it over.  But if you put the bend across the "grain" it won't tear or crack, it just bends as it should.  This is dependant of a lot of things thickness of plate, raduis of bend, temp. of plate, but it is one way to find out.  Chris
Parent - By Robert48 (**) Date 12-14-2007 00:15
If you are taking a weld test with the material that will be checked using destructive testing procedures it is a very important thing to know.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The grain in plate steel