Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI
- - By crazycajun (**) Date 12-04-2007 20:50
if someone takes the cwi exam and doesnt make the 72% do they fail all together or if they score a certain % do they just give you the CAWI.
Parent - - By shipfitter88 (*) Date 12-04-2007 22:31
If you fail to score a 72% on each section of the exam but your combined score for all three sections is at least 72% you will be able to retake the section that did not meet the 72% required. 60% is the required minimum for a CAWI.
Parent - - By crazycajun (**) Date 12-04-2007 22:44
yeah i know what your saying but my question is if you go below 72% but above 60% do they give you the cawi or do you have to specify what your going for. like if i say i wanna get my cwi but i dont make 72% do they make me a cawi automaticlly.until you retest can you be considered a cawi
Parent - By shipfitter88 (*) Date 12-04-2007 23:49
If you miss the cutoff score for CWI but meet the score for CAWI, AWS will automatically give you CAWI.
Parent - - By TimmyD (*) Date 12-05-2007 00:04
Yes, AWS automatically makes you a CAWI.  That is if you scored a combined average of 60%-71%. You can then retest within a year. Visual Acuity tests are only good for 7 mos.                                        Part A, Part B or Code.   Whichever part you need to score higher on to reach CWI level.
TD
Parent - - By crazycajun (**) Date 12-05-2007 00:47
thanks, wasnt really quiet sure as to how that works. someone tells me one thing and someone else says somthing different so i figured i wouuld come to the source
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-05-2007 13:02
Unless you work for a inspection company which will allow you to work directly under a CWI the CAWI is almost worthless. You cannot approve or sign off welds. So if you are looking at  being on say a pipeline or terminal repair project where you are the only inspector, the CAWI will not get you hired.

Get ready to pass the exam. If not on you first try then second. Do not focus on what you options are when you fail, focus on what you opportunities will be when you pass.
BABRT's
Parent - - By crazycajun (**) Date 12-11-2007 23:15
are there any details you guys can give me on breaking down a lil stratigic plan on figuring out the code and actually reading it. i pick up on things fairlly easy but i never had the book so i never had the chance. and not having the moeny to buy a $300.00 book kinda leaves me to the scavengers to pick my eyes out. i have been on e-bay finding as many books as i can that i can afford. i have the A3.0 A2.4 and the welders inspectors term. book on the way in the next week or so but i have no poosible way of finding d1.1 or 1104 or being able to afford them for that matter.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 12-13-2007 17:11
see what edition is the oldest allowed for the d1.1 test. then go to a tech. bookstore, you can pick up an older code for a fraction of the price. i just found a d1.1 (02) for $30
Parent - - By crazycajun (**) Date 12-13-2007 19:43
well i know the 20th edition 1104 has to be used for the test but i dont know about d1.1 yet. and i went to the book stores we have down here they dont have any books on aws they told me they could order it for me. i said sh*t i could order it too. ha ha
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 12-13-2007 20:50
i guess i'm spoiled. i use this tech bookstore all the time
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-13-2007 20:15
CC You have an email?
BABRT's
Parent - By crazycajun (**) Date 12-13-2007 21:47
bmaturin@superiorderrick.com
Parent - - By SKY59 Date 01-07-2008 05:13
The new rule as I read it per AWS is that if you currently are a CAWI, you will no longer be allowed to re-certify as a CAWI, but must pass the exam for the CWI level. I interpret this as follows. If you earn only a CAWI the first time around, once your time comes up for re-certification, you have to pass at the CWI level. Nine years should be more than enough time to learn enough to successfully pass part B. This is really what you want anyway, as a CAWI cannot by code work independent of the oversight of a CWI.
Parent - - By crazycajun (**) Date 01-07-2008 11:26
yeah i know about the cawi. but it is 3 years before you have to test for cwi. and i believe if you only make cawi you can go back for cwi beforethat time is up.
Parent - By SKY59 Date 01-31-2008 19:52
Yeah, you can retest at any time.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI