Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / D17.1 trying to pass test
- - By mountspire (*) Date 12-04-2007 22:20
I am trying to pass AWS D17.1 stainless test. I am using 18ga. 316L stainless for coupons, filler metal is 308L .030 wire, using a 33 percent helium,1 percent co2, and argon as my shield gas. I have tried many different voltages and IPM to try to achive a good weld. They are going to x-ray test welds and if it does not pass I am not sure what to do exceot heli arc them which will slow down the fabrication considerably. I am running the voltage in the 3g position at approximately 17.2 volts and 161 IPM. The biggest worry is getting the material to hot causing severe warpage. This is for a gov't contractor. If any body can possibly give me alittle insight I would greatly appreciate it. This project is for 18 ga. stainless duct work.
                                                                        Thank You,
                                                                        mountspire 
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 12-05-2007 03:44
Is there any specific reason why you arent using 316L filler metal? Is the gas mixture in acordance to their wps?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-05-2007 04:26
That's a pretty tough test.

Short Circuit GMAW.....Vertical

Is your weld progression Vert Up or Vert down?

For best production, rotating your work into the Flat and Horizontal fillet position is going to really increase your ability to make quality welds consistantly.

Since all D17 welding procudures must be qualified *first* by testing, the first plase you should go is to the person/s who qualified your procedure originally, in order to discover what worked best for them as far as fine tuning your short circuiting arc voltage, wire feed rate and vert technique.

If minimal heat input and distortion are an issue and you are unwilling to slow down and use GTAW... A new procedure with GMAW-P and an 0.035 dia. filler might be consideration. Although even GMAWP is difficult to run thin section vertical fillets.
Parent - - By mountspire (*) Date 12-06-2007 13:36 Edited 12-06-2007 18:53
welding is vertical up. I will find out on the NDT today. If all else fails I will heli arc till I can get a pulse arc. The WPS calls out for er308L on filler metal. I sent in all postions for testing. I am the person having to set up the welding procedures for this application. They just prescibed the er308L for filler metal. The rest is left to me. How much fun can a person have. I passed the groove weld NDT, but I have too pass the fillet weld test. They are saying I need better tie in on the fillet weld, so I am going to have to turn the heat up and pray that I can keep the distortion down to a minimum.
                                                                                                                                    Mountspire
Parent - By mountspire (*) Date 12-13-2007 15:38
Thanks to all. I have passed the test and setup my WPS so my other welders can pass the test.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 12-18-2007 15:58
You need to go with 100% argon shielding.I think that's your problem.We work to D17.1 here at Standard Aero,and all of our procedures are for 100% argon shielding on the face and root side.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-18-2007 19:18
He's Mig welding Ringo
Parent - - By mountspire (*) Date 12-19-2007 18:33
The tri mix is working great so far Lawrence. I am working on my heli arc weld now using atraight argon. Learning never ends in this trade. Thanks again for the help all and have a very Merry Christmas.
                                                                                                                              mountspire
Parent - By arrowside (**) Date 12-22-2007 13:15
That's impressive. If i had the choice I would have gone .023 right out of  the gate. Nice job!
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 12-28-2007 16:32
My mistake,I didn't read back far enough.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / D17.1 trying to pass test