Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / What test Qualifies you for all sizes of pipe
- - By CK Welding (**) Date 12-05-2007 05:36
I am a young welder from wyoming and I have been welding in the oil and gas Fields for about 4 years now. Just recently I riged up my owen truck and went on my own. My problem is that every company I weld for wants me to have a diffrent cert, so my question is. Is there a pipe test that you can take that certifies you for all sizes of pipe?  If so, What is that test?
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-05-2007 12:53
On pipelines 1104 allows a 12 on 12 but and 12 on 12 branch to qualify the welder for all diameters, all positions and all thickness for that contractor and the company that contractor is working for. DAT requires periodic re-qualification which depending on the pipeline company may be every 6 months up to 2 years.

If you are going to weld pipe, you are going to test.

A lot and often. And you will not pass all of them all the time. I dont care what any pipeline welder tells you.

Thats whay you get paid the big bucks.
BABRT's
Parent - - By downhill798 (*) Date 12-05-2007 23:29
[deleted]
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-05-2007 23:39
Weld a piece of 12 inch pipe to another piece of 12 inch pipe in a 5G fixed position and a branch weld on a 12 inch piece of pipe to a 12 inch piece of pipe.

You may have to do this 2-3 times a month. And if you dont pass, the contractor does not pay you!

The 12 on 12 test butt and branch will take a hard 10 hours to get done. THat is prep, fitting, welding, cutting the straps and your turn at the iron horse.
BABRT's
Parent - - By downhill798 (*) Date 12-06-2007 00:20
[deleted]
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-06-2007 13:30
Butt welds on all pipe thickness and diameters in a fixed position less then 45 degrees. On a pipeline usually only the tie in welders take the full test. The front end and firing line are just roundy downers. So the contractor and company does not take the time to qualify all of them on butt and branch. A lot of bead hands will quit a job if you tell them they have to do a branch.

On some pipeline jobs where ther are only 4-5 welders, and they are going to stay with the contractor working for one company, they usually all take the multiple test. THen when you get to welding on loaded lines you have the 1107 test. But lets not go there.

If all you want to do is chase pipelines, being able to do a 12 on 12 butt will keep you employed. Learning to do the branch will make you more money.
BABRT's 
Parent - By CK Welding (**) Date 12-08-2007 06:23
Thank you for all of your help that is exactly what I needed. 
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / What test Qualifies you for all sizes of pipe