Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Can I run flux core through a Snap-On YA 117?
- - By El Don Date 12-07-2007 03:48
  Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use flux wire with this machine?  I see no access to flip the contacts that one usually finds.  Is anyone familiar with the SNAP ON YA 117?  Date of Manufacture is 1986.  I know not if it can be done!  Replies greatly appreciated.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 12-07-2007 07:16
Hello El Don, unfortunately when I tried to google this particular model of welder I didn't get any hits that would give me much information about the machine. Is this a 110 or 220V machine? Is it currently set up to run hardwire with a shielding gas? Are you referring to a FCAW/self-shielded wire that doesn't require a shielding gas or a flux-cored wire that uses a shielding gas (in other words, dual-shield or FCAW/gas shielded)? You referred to contacts, are you speaking of the lugs for connection of the ground clamp lead and the lead that is sometimes connected to the feeder mechanism and can be interchanged with the ground clamp lead to change the output polarity of the machine? You may already be aware that a mig welding machine that uses a shielding gas and hardwire is generally of a reverse polarity output and providing that it has sufficient capacity(say somewhere in the 175 amp range) can also operate FCAW/gas shielded wire (dual-shield). If the polarity is switchable, meaning that the machine is also capable of delivering straight polarity output it can operate FCAW/self shielded wire. Forgive me if you are already aware of all of this. If the main question is in reference to the polarity interchangeability issue I don't know without being able to find more information out about the machine itself. Best suggestion beyond that is to trace down the ground lead and see if it has a wing-nut type connection that could be switched with a similar cable connected to the drive roll feeder mechanism. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 12-07-2007 14:40
Call Ck Systematics tech line 800-222-9353 or Snap-on Tech (not very helpful) 800-756-3344.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Can I run flux core through a Snap-On YA 117?