Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Antique welding processes
- - By Joe S Date 04-21-2001 00:21
I ran across a set very old antique steel gates, the owner said they were 100+ years old. I found the the joints to be very impressive and seamless, especially considering their age and wear. Can anyone tell me where to find out more about the old processes that were used to weld steel before the days of electricity and bottled gas?
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 04-21-2001 17:00

Possibly "Forge Welded" by a Black Smith.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-23-2001 22:05
I agree with RonG
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By Joe S Date 04-24-2001 20:32
I understand the forgeing part, but what did they use to take care of the oxidation on the surfaces to be bonded? I've heard that they used borax or some kind of soap as a flux. These joints were perfectly bonded, no visible seam and no fillet.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 04-25-2001 02:48
I have worked with Smittys and watched them hammer 2 steel bars together in what we might call a Butt weld.

They bent them like hooks while cherry red, hooked them together then hammer and heat untill they were one piece of bar stock and there was only an inlarged area in the center with no other visable signs of the joint. Even when you sliced through the center of it.

After the work cooled they put on finishing touches and descaled it. 2 prized possesions in my tool box are a pinch bar and rolling head pry bar hand made by believe it or not Billy Kid. (not "the kid").

Its interesting work and they knew a lot of tricks to get any kind of finish they wanted.
Parent - - By Ti double-G er (*) Date 04-26-2001 03:31
Joe
A fair number of years ago I worked for a blacksmith as a striker. As we were in a city famed for it's historic buildings the large part of his work was making "wrought" iron gates and grill work for windows using time honoured processes. This fellow could fire weld a paper thin leaf to a vine that was thinner than coat hanger. Here is the basic process.
To fire weld or hammer weld two pieces of bar together you first taper both pieces to a three to one taper. Then you heat the bars to cherry red and dip them in borax. The trick here is the borax needs to be bone dry. My first job of the morning was to heat the borax in a iron cup till it was liquid then let it cool to an amber glass like stuff, then smash it up with a hammer till it was powder. If the borax is good and dry it will flow on the hot bar like honey if it has moisture it will bubble up. Then the bars are returned to the fire and heated untill they JUST throw white sparks. Too much heat and the surface burns forming thick oxide that wont bond together. When the metal is hot enough to throw white sparks you place the two bevels together quickly and then hit them with three perfect blows of the hammer. The hits are not hard but you need to hit like your trying to push it through the anvil rather than a sharp rap. The first hit is right in the middle of the joint, this squashes the flux and slag outwards. then you seal the first thin edge then flip the bar over and seal the second thin edge. Now you dress the joint with light quick blows. The main cause of failure is overheating the bar and burning the joint. For this reason the process is a lot easier if you use a true wrought iron which because of it's low carbon content is a lot more forgiving but you can use mild steel as well.
For reference try a book called "The Modern Blacksmith"

Tigger
Parent - By Joe S Date 05-02-2001 23:56
TIGGER
Thanks for the info. The borax preparation makes sense. I'll remember the "just 'till it sparks" trick too. I've looked around and have all the materials I need to make a large "brake drum" forge. In my area, I think making "wrought" iron work could be quite lucrative. Making realistic leaves out of steel will be a challenge. Thanks again.
Joe
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Antique welding processes