Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Root Spacing on 3/8" Plate Test w/BB
- - By GonzoWeld (*) Date 12-10-2007 23:15
I just got done doing a vertical plate test on 3/8" Plates and I put a 3/32" root gap! But it doesn't seem to be enough because it is really hard to keep by arc tight because the gap was to close.I noticed when I busted off the backing bar with very little effort that the penetration probably wasn't very good.There was a real faint line that had alittle bit of slag in it when I ground it out flush the line seemed to go away ,but one little spot about 1/4" I could tell that it didn't cook in to well.Also, Should I run my root allitle hotter than the rest of my stringers? I am running a 3/32 7018 at 78 amps and the slag just falls off !I am welding the test plates all the way out with 7018's .I was wondering if I should open it up to 1/8" or 3/16" what are your suggestions on this problem of mine?Thanks
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-11-2007 00:38
Open the gap! You have a backing bar. Make the root opening a little wider than the rod you are running.
BABRt's
Parent - By GonzoWeld (*) Date 12-11-2007 00:49
thanks, That little opening had me all stressed out !I couldn't see what the heck I was doing!!
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Root Spacing on 3/8" Plate Test w/BB