Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Quenched and tempered steel
- - By Danfer Date 12-11-2007 16:30
In shop the fabrication penstock with SUMITEN 780S (Japan)steel, I have the problem in WPS, becasuse failed in Charpy V notch  test, Designer  requeriment 41J ind. and 63J ave.(obteining only 30J).
Detail Welding Parameters:
Process: GMAW -ER110S-G Lincoln
Preheat 120°C
Interpass Temp 150°C max.
Heat input 2.5 max.
Posheating 150°C-170°C (for minimize hydrogen induced craking).
Q1.Why is the problem?
Q2. The posheating influencia in result test? Why?

Thanks for help me.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-11-2007 17:44
Get in contact with the manufacturers of the steel, they'll be able to help you.
www.sumitomometals.co.jp/e/index.html

Good luck
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By Goose-em (**) Date 12-12-2007 12:09
Your pre-heat is to low.  you need to have a pre-heat in the 200C range and interpass temp in the same range no higher than 210C no lower than 200C.  Also post weld heat treat is unneeded if you maintain this preheat throughout.  INstead of reheating the part to 200C just wrap it tightly in a heat blanket and allow it to cool slowly to room temp.  Should take around 8 hours.  I would also consider changing electrodes.  Take a look at the as welded mechanical properties of that electrode and compare that to a 80 or 90 series electrode.  You get more ductility  but many times retain the mechanical properties required in Q and T steel. 

Goose
PWeng.
CWI
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-12-2007 15:44
Not necessarily disputing because I am not familiar with that alloy(just to clarify), but considering that a Q & T material generally relies upon the formation of martensite in the quench process (in other words extremely rapid cooling) which then is tempered to form some carbides, removing carbon from solid solution and relieving some stresses(and therby improving toughness), I don't see right away how slowing down the cooling rate with an increase in preheat(possibly changing the transformation from austenite to martensite/bainite to one of austentie to ferrite), can be beneficial to toughness measured as impact strength. I could see it with lateral expansion but not impact strength.
The other thing is I didn't notice whether we were talking about weld metal charpies or HAZ charpies. The Q & T microsturcture of the base metal will be destroyed by the welding process in HAZ, rendering it essentially a normalized microstructure. And the weld metal response would be entirely independent.
I think Giovanni's thinking is sound. I believe that in most as welded Q & T applications some reduction in toughness from that which the base metal is capable is expected(in the HAZ). Weld metal will be based upon its chemsitry. The question is how much?
The 200C range is certainly higher than the Q & T preheat examples provided in FJ Winsors article in ASM Volume 6.
The general idea is to have preheat high enough to prevent cracking but low enough to maintain as rapid a cooling rate as possible or you lose your martensite, and may even overtemper portions of the HAZ.
And a 10deg interpass range. My advice would that anyu range that narrow chould remain an ideal target and not written into the procedures because its all but impossible to apply on the shop floor.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Quenched and tempered steel