Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Questions about apprentice employment from wife
- - By nervous-wife Date 12-11-2007 16:50
Hello, guys and gals.  I am not a welder, but my husband is.  He has went to the local Boilermakers Union hall for his apprenticeship application which he has already submitted.  He has the 6g, blah, blah, blah. I have no idea about alot of this stuff.  And, he is really, really, hoping to get accepted into the program.  My question is (because I take care of the bills)  if he is accepted into the apprenticeship program, how soon would the union try to get him on a job, and does the union try to keep an apprentice employed?  Or, is it spotty at best?  I am trying to figure our bills for the next six months just is case it is on again and off again employment. Any, and all replies will be appreciated.  I want him to be able to do this, but I want to be able to pay the bills. Thanks, again.
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 12-11-2007 18:13
When I did my apprenticeship the hall kept the apprentices lined up with more jobs than the journeymen. Their labor is cheaper. I came up in Houston. It may be different up north.  It should happen fairly quickly.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-11-2007 18:41
Most Boilermaker locals have more work than they can staff...  Hubby may have to travel a bit to stay busy but the apprenticeship is woth the investment... He is earning, learning, investing in his own retirement as he works.

Every region of the nation is a bit different.. But for the most part boilermakers are thriving.
Parent - - By nervous-wife Date 12-12-2007 03:46
Thank you, both for your replies.  My main concern is after acceptence will he start to work fairly soon, and work at least a couple of weeks per month?  We live in Ohio, and there is suppose to be several power plant jobs 2008/2009.
I do not know what region you are from, but have you heard anything thru the grapevine about our region? 
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-12-2007 04:27
Hey Nervous W..

It gets cold in Ohio....... Lots of boilers.... Lots of boilermakers.

Hubby should be able to ask around at the local lodge and get plenty of feedback from folks.  An apprentice with many qualifications (like hubby) ought to stay busy.
Parent - - By nervous-wife Date 12-12-2007 04:46
Your answers have made me feel more secure.  Cold in Ohio!!!! It was 62 degrees today. Yeah, I know, unusal.  Lived here most of my life. Reading on the internet it states that welding experience is accepted first for the apprenticeship. Is that right?  We figure he has a real good chance.  Another boilermaker told him that someone ask him if he knew any good welders. So, that tells if the union is asking about welders they need someone.  Also, some man from the union hall called my husband and told him to come pickup an application.  So, if they bothered to call it tells me they need people badly.  He just submited his 6g, but he has the plate certification.  He had Coast Guard certification and something for welding on bridges. I just don't want to get ourselves in a pickle with just a little job here and another little job there. After your replies I am comfortable about him doing this.  He is a good welder.  I hope that will help keep him is work.  Thank You, again.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-12-2007 02:51
The Boilermakers have what is known as the MOST program...
Ask your husband to join it so he can get his pin# and call the 800# to find out about the closest jobs going on near your area such as from the local's in Cleveland, or Columbus, or even Pittsburgh if you live in certain parts of eastern Ohio but nothing is going to be going on right now until the holidays are finished with.
Also tell him to get himself listed @ all of the local's so when the work fire's up again. He'll get called in short order. If he's good, he'll have no trouble working steady because, he'll earn a reputation of being dependable so, advice for him from a long retired Boilermaker is to listen to the mechanic's, and if you do'nt know about something, ASK!!!

Do NOT have a questionable attitude... DO NOT NOT MISS ANY ASSIGNMENT or become absent during any assignment... In other words, show up even if you feel or look like you're dying!!! Only let your foreman send you home if you're sick!!! Otherwise you'll not be considered as DEPENDABLE!!! Call Kansas City Headquarters to enroll @ 913-281-5036. This is their database # but, if you do'nt have a pin#, you ca'nt search for jobs so, I believe you need to call KC in order to enroll first... Sheesh it' been so long that I don't remember how I joined but if my memory serves me correct then, calling the KC # first is the way to enroll into the MOST program.

Another important thing for your husband to have is a COMMON ARC welding certification because, some of the main contractors will accept that cert instead of having to constantly recertify from one job to another so long as the contractor is a COMMON ARC program company participant.

The Boilermakers, The Pipefitters, Ironworkers, and most of the other union locals are really hurting for welder/mechanics so, I believe that your husband - if he keeps his nose clean, will be able to find steady work because, most of the local's old hands are retiring with not enough bodies to replace them!!!

If there is'nt enough work locally then, travel he must!!! It's just the nature of the business!!!
Btw, do you work for a living?

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By nervous-wife Date 12-13-2007 03:54
Thank You, Henry.  I really appreciate your reply and the others.  I will have my husband read your message.  All of you have made me feel that this is the right thing to do.  If he gets accepted into the apprenticeship, I hope he gets to work with guys like you. 
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 12-13-2007 06:30
nervous-wife , all skilled trades need more apprentices . many of ours have done well .it pleases me to see young people do these jobs that i no longer do .they can make a good living and have benifits + retirement , but may have to travel as others have said , some of ours have had to travel to finish their apprenticeship , when not much work here in past years . most locals have connections to man jobs in other areas .the others on here have given you good advice . what area in ohio are you in ? i think i have been lost there more more than once , when i used to ship machinery from there in 1984 i think i still have maps , when we were frozen and snowed out here , they were still picking corn . please keep us posted on how you do . good luck . willie  
Parent - - By nervous-wife Date 12-14-2007 03:44
Thanks, Willie for your reply. I have received so much encouragement from this forum.  I would like to buy my husband a new welding helmet for Christmas, and he has mentioned the auto darking helmet, but I have read that they are not recommended for overhead welding... I was wondering why...I would like a recommendation from you experience welders on one.  I do not want to purchase a cheap one, but I do not want to refinance our home for one either.  Just a good overall auto darking welding helmet. Thanks, a million to all of you. And, I will keep you posted when we find out if he has been accepted into the apprenticeship.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 12-14-2007 04:23
Auto darkening...hmmmm...Double edged sword. You can go the ultimate cheap route, buying the 2"x4" solar powered lens ($25?), I'm not in favor of these due to the brightness at the periphery. Lincoln makes one for about $160 in the 2"X4" (I've owned one for over 12 years, but not used it full time) and I like it. From there it seems, they jump in price upwards of $250 to around $400. They have lots of good features and you get what you pay for. My primary complaint is that the clear cover lenses cost a fortune ($4 apiece as opposed to $.25 - $.50, this coming from one who changes clear plates very often, especially when welding overhead (unless the employer buys it, then not a problem). Ah yes, overhead! What happens here is your hands, stinger/gun, turning the hood sideways, the geometry of the weldment, etc. obscures the sensor and turns it into an "auto lightening" hood. They are supposed to give enough protection to not damage the eyes... a minor annoyance and green floating apparition at the least.
A welding hood is a very personal piece of gear, synonomous to a pair of shoes..it's gotta feel right. Buy what your heart/budget steers you toward. Besides, it's Christmas, and it is the thought that counts. Your husband is a lucky man. Happy Holidays to you and yours.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Questions about apprentice employment from wife