Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Flux Cored with Ceramic Backing?
- - By 19Slade52 (*) Date 12-12-2007 19:37
I am just returning into the trade and have a chance to test at a shipyard and the only info I have thus far is that the test is structural, Flux-cCored with a ceramic backing. I was hoping someone might give me some expectations and parameters to use for the test... Many thanks in advance!

Slade
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-12-2007 20:31
Hi Slade,
A little more info will be required to give an accurate answer as to what to expect for parameters.
Example:
1) welding test position will make the variables change quite a bit like flat vs vert/up would make a significant difference...
2) welding wire diameter is going to make the varibles vary like .045" vs 3/32" will make very significant changes...
3) shielding gas composition will vary the parameters yet again....
4) thickness of the test plates and possibly the joint configuration could play into the machine settings.

If you could fill in some of the blanks, we might be able to get you closer to where you need to be with your machine settings.
Parent - - By 19Slade52 (*) Date 12-13-2007 08:43
Best I can tell, John, the wire diameter is around .052" (if that's even a manufactured size), pure CO2, vertical and overhead positions, 1/2" plate... this is what the recruiter thinks the test consists of... many thanks!!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-13-2007 11:36
I don't know the brand of wire(Lincoln wire likes a bit more heat than ESAB for some reason), but I'm thinking you'll need to be somewhere around 27-28volts at 280amps+/- for the flat, maybe just a smigit less to fine tune for the OH....but for running vert up, I would back it down just a bit more to around 25-26 volts at 225 amps.
Keep your stick out around 3/4", measured from the contact tip to the material...(not from the nozzle). Gas flow around 35-40 cfh should give you good coverage.
This should get you somewhere in the ball park, and then fine tune it to get the least spatter and still be able to control the puddle. Remember...Big ole spatter balls = voltage too low or WFS too high so adjust accordingly. Take your time when you get towards the cap, it will be hot and very fluid, so don't let it fall out on you...this is only 1/2" material, so it won't hold a ton of heat.

If anyone disagrees with any of these numbers speak up....Our shop uses 1/16" and 3/32" diameter wire and it takes a bunch more heat to melt off those wires than this smaller .052"....
Parent - - By dasimonds (**) Date 12-15-2007 10:49
Do you have a WPS for OH ceramic?
Dale Simonds
Parent - - By David Lee (*) Date 12-17-2007 00:39
If all else fails look at the specs from the manufactuer of your electrode this should give your the varibles you need.
Parent - By dasimonds (**) Date 12-17-2007 21:33
Couldn't care less about parameters. Just curious if there was a WPS, as I can't imagine anyone trying to do OH ceramic.
Dale Simonds
Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 12-31-2007 23:17
In our shop we use ESAB 7100 Ultra, with CO2. We also use ceramic backing. The parameters are easily found at most manufactures websites. For .045 we use 24-26 volts 150-165 amps. 1/16" we use 26-30 volts and 180-220 amps. These are approximate. The big deal with ceramic is to keep the filler metal going into the parent metal and the puddle. If you tough the wire to the ceramic, and loose contact with the parent metal or puddle the arc will be extinguished and you may even dislodge the ceramic backing. When we have control of the situation we put a metal reinforcement behind the ceramic just to prevent the ceramic from falling off as it gets hot and the foils' glue releases from the joint root.

Dennis
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Flux Cored with Ceramic Backing?