Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / PRIVATE WELDING SCHOOL????
- - By Superflux (****) Date 12-14-2007 01:45
Thinking about opening up a private welding school to help meet the demands of our growing industry. Any ideas from educators out there as to costs per student at your facility would be appreciated.
Parent - - By mgrisham (*) Date 12-15-2007 07:45 Edited 12-15-2007 08:56
I'm not a educator, but I attended a welding school recently. The school I attended, was and probably still is, backed up with students just waiting to get in. I was originally on a 3 month waiting list, but I happened to call on a day that a student dropped out or was kicked out, either way, I got to start the following Monday. Only because the others that were ahead of me couldn't make it on such short notice.

They run 2 shifts with 2 Instructors for per shift. Each instructor has 18 to 22 students so at any given time they have at least 80 students attending at all times.

There's no other school like in the state. The only other school like it, is in Tulsa, OK. However, it's actually an accredited AWS Testing Facility, but from what I understand it's 7 months long. And all the other Tech Schools I checked on in my 4 state area, only offer programs that take at least 2 years to complete, which is fine for younger students that have that plenty of time to get their education.

Anyway, the place I'm talking about, had guys attending that came all the way from Indiania and Minnesota, because there isn't any other school that offeres 5 Certs. in 4 months. IT'S BRILLIANT AND THERE'S HUGE DEMAND FOR IT. ESPECIALLY FOR US OLDER GUYS/GALS THAT HAVE FAMILIES AND CAN'T SPEND 2 OR MORE YEARS IN SCHOOL BEFORE EARNING A DEGREE.

But there definitely needs to be more schools offering that type of fast track education!
A school where students can obtain a hands on welding education quickly, and one that actually follows AWS's Rules and Provision for testing, which states: An applicant shall not be tested by a Test Supervisor who conducted or was responsible for training the applicant. 

The staff consists of 2 recruiters, 4 instructors, 2 office personel, and 1 AWS/CWI that signs the students application for his/her Certs., but doesn't actually give the test himself. Weird, huh?

FYI...If I had to guess, I'd say at the very least 60%, maybe more, of the students that were enrolled while I was there, which was just this past summer, tuition was paid for by the State, including my own, through various state funding programs.

Listed below is what I have showing on my receipt and my notes from this past summer.

Master Pipe Welding and Fitting Course 
Length of Course: 720 hours
Number of weeks: 18
Tuition: $7,500.00
Gear: 445.00
Hours per week: 40
Metal & Supplies: 1,215.00
Test & Certification 610.00
Books: 130.00
TOTAL: $9,900.00 + $84.95 a week for housing x 18 = 

Master Structural Welding and Fitting Course
(Field of Study)
Length of Course: 440 hours
Number of weeks: 11
Tuition: $5,550.00
Gear: 445.00
Hours per week: 40
Metal & Supplies: 1,030.00
Test & Certification 370.00
Books: 130.00
TOTAL: $7,525.00 + $84.95 a week for housing.

Advanced Welding Course
Hourly Course Cost $22.00 
Number of weeks: 1 - 10 weeks
Length of Course: 40 -400 hours

Good Luck and I hope this info helps.
Parent - - By ninepoint Date 12-21-2007 12:39
"FYI...If I had to guess, I'd say at the very least 60%, maybe more, of the students that were enrolled while I was there, which was just this past summer, tuition was paid for by the State, including my own, through various state funding programs. "

I'll be without work very soon after 27 years on the job and so I'll be changing my career. Welding has always been fun for me so I enrolled in a welding class to start in Feburary. I have been looking for some state funding also, but so far no luck in finding anything (maybe not looking in the right spots?). Any help as to where you found your funding would greatly be appreciated.
PS. I'm 44 and live in Michigan
Parent - By mgrisham (*) Date 01-07-2008 02:10
Go to your local Career Center. They'll have all the different Federal and State funded programs that are available. In Missouri we have what's called "Parents Fair Share" it's a program entended for guys like me that were under-employed and struggling to pay child support. Go online and check out your states work rehab programs.
Parent - - By DanAmes Date 02-12-2008 18:35
Where is this school located and it's name and or numbers
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-13-2008 09:31
Superflux I am willing to work as an educator at your school provided all we teach is compliance with FC2000.   Other then that.....

You know what I have always wondered how far a fella might go with private lessons on skills training.....and I mean specific ones.  Like Lo-Hy weld out on pipe, or vert lo-hy for structural tests.  Basic tig etc.    specific skill sets a fella might want for a specific job......now there is a niche dude!!!!   Like ok I want to learn 308-309 on pipe to pass a test and get a job......you see what I mean???   Just something to think on....opening a full blown all around welding program that would be recognized in the private sector is a LARGE endeavor from where I stand...but the other is doable enterprise.
Parent - - By Aspirate (**) Date 02-13-2008 21:30
If yall come up with one, I'd attend refresher courses if its on other metals!  I like the idea of a fast track private school.   Some just learn faster than others.  Those are usually hard working students and not the ones that lack attendance or take breaks.  I can remember wayy back when I was going through a 3 semester vocational program, I was able to complete processes & start pipe at the end of my 1st sem.  Most sat around after completing their processes to get their credit hours to graduate.  I, on the other hand used extra time to test each of my welds.. including: some 309 on carbon where I got corner cracks on the bend test but learned how I should weld from now on, branch tests cut short so I can see my pen in the inside, played around with several others, oh.. some left handed practice (all 6G btw).  
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-13-2008 22:06
Hello Aspirate, I realize this thread has been covering private welding school offerings, but have you ever looked into some of the skills centers, state vocational schools, or community/technical college offerings? Some of these facilities have provisions for doing industry upgrades. The school that I teach at does exactly that. We have a class that is termed as an "independent study course", this is a variable credit offering that allows the individual to work on specific skills for the types of improvements that you had mentioned in your post. If you are a union member they generally have their own training centers for these types of upgrades, if you're non-union you may want to look into my suggestion. Hobart, Lincoln, and other private facilities can definitely provide some very specialized and terrific training, but if you're on more of a budget you may want to look into the other alternatives. Just a little food for thought. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By Aspirate (**) Date 02-13-2008 23:17
Thx for the reply aevald.  I have looked into state & comm/tech colleges here in the southeast, and for the past few years been contemplating a move to WA.  They don't offer sh!t here in southeast.   Unions here.. don't even let me tell you.  As far as specific skill centers & even job offerings, your area is by far the best place to be.  Although, Id get rash on my a** just thinkin about the weather there.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-14-2008 01:11
Hello again Aspirate, you're right about the weather to some degree. We have a lot of liquid sunshine and a bit of snow on my side of the state, but the eastern half of the state actually has some definite seasons and quite a bit of sunshine. As far as the work goes it's kind of dual-tiered, there are the union jobs and non-union ones that compete with the union work, these pay some pretty decent wages and then there are a whole lot of smaller operations and non-union outfits that pay a pretty low-end set of wages. The other work that is available covers a pretty large range of offerings. There are of course, shipyards, structural, chemical and petrochemical, generation systems, manufacturing both heavy and light, pulp and paper(on the decline somewhat), woods and sawmills(also on the decline,unfortunately), aerospace and defense(Boeing related), farming and dairy, rail, ocean, and river ports, and still some nuclear with Hanford. Overall our state economy is doing fairly well and the wages and job availability are pretty good. In my local area the shortage of skilled tradespeople has helped to boost the base wages quite a bit in the last few years, the folks are finally realizing that they have to pay a bit more to attract and retain skilled workers. Worker shortages have also fueled the need for many more apprentices within the various unions in our state and the region. We are noticing a much more agressive move to take on more apprentices with all of the unions.
     I mentioned in a prior post that we do various types of upgrade training at our school. One of the things that has allowed this to occur is the varied experience of our faculty, my background has been in equipment manufacturing, structural steel fabrication, maintenance welding and millwrighting, general fabrication shop experience catering to the sawmill, papermill, and various manufacturing industries in the area, and a certain amount of limited pipe welding under various conditions, along with a number of years as a mechanic on farm and industrial equipment. My partner has had experience in the logging industry, is a journeyman boilermaker, has recently received his CWI/CWE credentials and has also had many other varied experiences in industrial mill environments and fabrication shops. We have a night welding instructor who has many years in the nuclear pipewelding environment and is currently employed fulltime with BNSF railroad in their repair and maintenance yard. We have a few other adjunct faculty members who have other experiences within the welding industry and are able to cover some of the other areas that are a consideration for our perspective students. Not all schools operate as ours does, however I would bet that there are a lot out there that do and it is a matter of finding the ones that will work with you when you are looking to better yourself or make some additions to your personal abilities within this trade. Almost all of the welding faculty members in our state at the community/vocational/technical college level are encouraged to continue to ply the trade and are rewarded for doing so. Which I believe is a benefit to the folks that we work with and train.
     Just remember Aspirate, you and your family are the ones that make the decision where you want to be in regards to where you live and what you do, so definitely go for it if the times right, the skies the limit. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By SMTatham (**) Date 04-29-2008 01:08 Edited 05-04-2010 02:13
That school would be Missouri Welding Institute; a class operation and highly regarded.  Tom Hollands is an old school man with a great vision and work ethic.

website is www.mwi.ws
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / PRIVATE WELDING SCHOOL????