Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / jumping a welder
- - By CK Welding (**) Date 12-17-2007 06:11
This is a dumb question but I am going to throw it out there anyways.

A fwe years ago I was working for a outfit that had an old SA they jumped every morning because the starter was out or the battery was out or something.  We jumped it off another machine using the leads,  I cant remember exacty how it was done.  Can someone remind me please.
Parent - - By pipeliner01 (**) Date 12-17-2007 12:28
take a running machine, put it in 3rd gear @ 50, connect the stinger of one machine to the ground of the other, then touch together (momentarily) the other stinger and ground until the engine of the dead machine fires up, then disconnect. Ya want to boost the dead machine exactly opposite of the way you would boost battery to battery, that's how I've done it anyway.
Parent - - By CK Welding (**) Date 12-17-2007 17:25
Thats the way I taught it was don.  I ran into that the outher day but the guy who I was going to jump wanted to hook the positive to the positive.  I was pretty shure that wasn't right and didn't want to mess a machine up so I didn't do it.
        What would that have done to his machine if hooked pos. to pos?   Also can you jump a truck batter off your leads pos to pos and neg to neg if your in a bind? I have heard you could in low gear and all the way down.  Never been brave enough to try it though.  Has anyone here done this?
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 12-17-2007 18:30
To jumpstart a truck or tractor or forklift or whatever with an SA-200 you turn the range switch  to the lowest position and put the fine current adj. as low as it will go and make the connection + to + and - to -.
Slowly turn the fine current adj up till it turns over nicely. You'll never have to go above 30 or so.
This works well on older stuff, I don't have any idea if it will cause problems with a late model computer controlled vehicle.
My bud has a lot more experience with this method than I do, he's jumped off hundreds of things this way over the years being an old farm kid.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 12-21-2007 04:05
when you jump another welder by touching the leads I thought it was + to + and - to - also. can it be done both ways?
Parent - - By Justin O (**) Date 12-28-2007 17:33
Thats how Ive always done it downhand.  + to + and - to -
Parent - - By shorthood55 (*) Date 12-30-2007 06:51
The way I've always seen it done, and done it myself is turn the running machine all the way up and the non running machine all the way down, then make sure the switch to the non running machine is in the on position then connect your pos. stinger to pos stinger, hold the grounds to both machines in your hand, put them together until the machine cranks, once the machine cranks disconnect everything and, walla! Ready to burn rod!!
Parent - By Justin O (**) Date 12-30-2007 08:19
exactly
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / jumping a welder