Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Qualify WPS with painting on the groove bevels
- - By hung7601 (*) Date 12-19-2007 08:10
Hi All

I am qualifying the WPS as per AWS D1.1 2006 for my project; the test pieces are made to butt joint double V and then bevelling sufaces painted with Deoxaluminite paint. this paint is weldable and have no adverse effect on the mechanical properties of weldment, it was proved in some previous WPS I made before.
For this job the WPS to be approved by my client and third party and all of them said that the painting are not allowed to be included in the production weld and WPS also, no matter it has no affects on the quality... they ask me to show where it is metioned in D1.1.
I have tried to find the D1.1 but couldn't get any para saying that the paint can be included in the welding if WPS qualification proving that the paint has no harmful effect on the weldment.
Any one have idea please help.
Regards
Alex
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-19-2007 08:26
Hello Alex, I'm no expert, so I can't lead you to any specific code section to support your train of thought. I have read in different threads on different occasions of the requirements to remove surface contaminants, rust, mill scales, paints(I believe), and any other detrimental surface conditions. You may be able to argue an inference of the code that since you have tested weld samples with the paint included and they have successfully passed this testing, that this is not a detrimental condition and thus should be allowed. I would venture to say that others with more specific code knowledge here on the forum will soon chime in and give you a more concrete and supportable answer, one way or the other. I look forward to those additional replies also. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-19-2007 09:06
Alex;

The only thing I can say is be very, very careful you are using a "truly" weldable primer/coating. 

I was once involved in a litigation matter involving new construction, and in this particular matter, there was a catastrophic failure, resulting in several deaths.  When the investigations were complete, it was determined that there had, in fact, been an alternate primer which appeared to be "identical" from all routine appearances, etc., 

The EOR had approved the alternate and it in fact it was determined to be the root cause in faulty weld metal being deposited, which of course, lead to the demise of those involved. 

Of course, this "brief" overview is just that, very brief, simply mentioned to make certain you specify exactly what may, or may not be used.  The product you mention, in my experience, is considered a "weldable" primer / coating but caution should still be exercised.

Regards.

Jon
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-19-2007 11:24
You may be thinking of 5.15 in D1.1.  That does not outright say it is OK to paint the groove surfaces- rather it says that foreign material that would cause problem is not acceptable.  Your testing indicates paint is no problem so paint in the weld zone might be allowed by infererence.

It is admirable that you have conducted testing to show your paint doesn't cause problems.  However other parts of D1.1 lead us to understand that we should be sure there is NO paint, dirt, oil etc in the weld zone.  I can see that you will continually have difficulties in getting engineers to accept your testing because including paint goes against common perceptions.

I am curious, does your testing indicate the type of paint and the maximum allowable thickness of paint?  Those will be significant variables.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-19-2007 11:42
"...does your testing indicate the type of paint and the maximum allowable thickness of paint?"-quote

Very good point Chet, and it may be difficult to verify the coating thickness down inside a beveled joint....and when the paint is applied it would certainly flow towards the lowest point of the joint and puddle up, where the weld is the most critical - "the root".
Parent - - By hung7601 (*) Date 12-19-2007 12:44
Hi Chet/John/aevald/Jon

Yes, I mentioned the paint spec and DFT in my PQR as well the paint data sheet also attched. I have completed the mechanical testing with very good result as per spec and code requirements... I think I should stick to the test result to argue with the client and the third party. You know applying of this primer save me alot of time/grinding diskes for cleaning because I am working at open site with very high humidity...

Please open to me if you have any reference or suggestion.
Thanks
Alex
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-19-2007 15:14
Hi Alex, I believe Jon hit on a couple of points that are of real importance for you with the painting scenario. When any paint pools, whether it be weldable or not, it presents an opportunity for problems. As a material burns it emits vapors, the emissions of volatilized paint will cause porosity, pores, worm tracks, and possibly other flaws, even with the weldable primers. Since it is very hard for you to control the application of this paint, you may be introducing an unnecessary dimension to your welding regimen. Worse yet, if someone in the manufacturing end of this steel uses a paint other than the one you have specified, you could open yourself up to some of the liability issues that Jon spoke of. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 12-19-2007 15:44
aws d1.1 4.1.1 might apply. except for prequalified wps's in conformance with section 3, a wps for use in production welding shall be qualified in conformance with section 4, part b.. i do also agree with the concerns of the previous posters.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-19-2007 15:40
A $5.00 roll of masking tape should make everyone Happy, no grinding paint, no welding over paint and its easy to remove!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-19-2007 15:52
We use Duct Tape and or card board shields to keep paint off of those areas when it goes through our shop.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-19-2007 16:26
We have also used  magnetic sheets , those work well too!
Parent - By David Lee (*) Date 12-19-2007 19:45
If you are using a prime coat prior to welding a groove and you say the humidity is high, are you not preheating the material prior to depositing weld metal? In doing so you may actually burn away some or all of the paint.
What is the material thickness and grade ?
Parent - By geralderik (*) Date 12-19-2007 19:39
The code does not speak much of this item, but there is a provision in which you can set criteria for acceptance on the basis of evidence engineering.
Section 6 Reference 6.8.

Greetings

Erik
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-20-2007 03:18
I agree that AWS D1.1-2006 paragraph 5.15 includes the weasel words "a thin rust-inhibitive coating, ......, may remain with the following exceptions, ....."

The aluminum based paint mentioned in this thread has been used as a rust inhibitive coating for many years. If it is truly thin and completely dry, it comes off easily with a hand brush. The fact that it contains a high percentage of aluminum can be "beneficial" in that any residual aluminum is an effective deoxidizer. The problems that can be encountered include the mind set that "if a little is good, more must be better" and a very heavy coating is applied to the surfaces to be welded. Another consideration that has to be factored in is whether the "rust inhibiting coating" (paint) is completely dry when it is time to weld. If the paint is not fully cured the liquid vehicles in the paint can be considered as contaminates that can result in increased amounts of diffusible hydrogen and porosity. 

You can't beat a joint that is free of all contamination if you are optimizing the weld quality, but that is not always necessary. If optimum quality was required, the acceptance criteria included in D1.1 or the other welding standards would be more stringent than they are. Have you ever read the acceptance criteria of API 1104? Imagine, cross country pipelines with incomplete joint penetration, porosity, crater cracks, whiskers and the multitude of other discontinuities that would be considered as defects by many other welding standards.

You heard it here first folks, API has relaxed the X-ray standards; now if the beam of light from a flashlight can not pass through the welded joint, it's acceptable. Just kidding fellas, I just wanted to stir the water and see the mud swirl around a bit. Let the hair that is standing up on end settle down, relax, relax, relax. There, all better. :) I'm glad some of you can't reach me through the computer screen!;)

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that welding standards include acceptance criteria that provide a level of quality consistent with the design assumptions. Some welding standards include several different acceptance criteria for different applications, operating temperatures, operating pressures, or unit stress allowables and safety factors. Our job as welders and inspectors is to ensure the required quality level is met.

To paint or not to paint, that is the question. This isn't rocket science. If the steel is to be stored in the field for a while before being erected, would I rather remove rust or a rust inhibitive coating? I favor the silver paint stuff any day of the week. It is easier to remove than rust. A little preheat, a quick pass or two with a wire brush to remove any residual aluminum paint and the joint is ready for welding.

Have a Happy Holiday and a Merry Christmas!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By DWCO (*) Date 12-20-2007 16:57
  I too agree that D1.1 section 5.15 is a bit "vague" . However section 8.5.1 is rather clear. Short story. We were working a mass transit project in which the paint was to be "welder friendly" It turned out to not to be the case. The EOR dictated that 8.5.1 is how parts were to be prepared. Personally, if I am signing off on a weld, I would prefer to see the prep done to 8.5.1....     Just my .02.  Merry christmas all!!
Parent - - By hung7601 (*) Date 12-22-2007 06:12
Thanks all

Merry christmas and happy new year

Alex
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-22-2007 06:19
Alex, I agree that its admirable you've actually performed testing, I would just make a statement that any deviation in coating products from the one(s) tested are not permitted.
Parent - By hung7601 (*) Date 12-30-2007 10:07
Hi Jon20013
Code doesn't specific that the paint are allowable, but I have proved that the paint do not make any harm to the weld quality. Flexiblely It may be accepted but I have to say that it depends on individual in this case.
I have some more topics going to post in this forum, hope we can discuss and share.
Kind Regards
Alex
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-12-2008 16:37
Food for thought, How would this fly with OSHA? If qualified and proven then I would say, in my opinion it would be acceptable, with documentation, from a quality standpoint. However, to put this proceedure in action, you may have a fume and ventilation issue. When you open the "respirator" door it can be a monster. Fit tests and the likes, as well as upkeep of respirators.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-12-2008 18:24
AWS D1.1 index, "paint removal" refers you to 5.15 and 8.5.1 for welding purposes and 6.26.3 for inspection. 6.26.3 does not apply to this issue. My interpretation of the other two is this. Paint is a foriegn material detrimentel to weld quality and AWS does imply this by thier referance in the index as " Paint removal" and above mentioned references to 5.15 and 8.5.1 These two references when read in thier entirety and applied is stated should give one the determination that paint shall be removed two inches in all directions from the weld area.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Qualify WPS with painting on the groove bevels