Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welder performance process classificatio
- - By petethomas Date 04-24-2001 10:46
I have qualified welders for semi-automatic pulsed tig (gtaw) autogenous orbital welding.
The question is "what do I write on their certs" does anyone know if there is a process class other than GTAW
pete
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 04-24-2001 16:29
Pete,
For starters, orbital welding utililizes "mechanized" process control, this is not semi-automatic. Autogenous welds do not use any filler material.
The process designation is GTAW-P.
Some of the other information would include (but not limited to):
Base metal specification(s), thickness, diameter.
Electrode size/diameter, AWS specification and clasification e.g., AWS A5.12, EWTh-1.
Arc travel speed or weld time.
Gas composition and flow rate.
Peak amperage/voltage, background amperage/voltage, pulse frequency, pulse width.
Current type and polarity.
Any post weld heat treatment, etc.

This is some of the possible information that should be noted in the Welder Performance Qualification Record (certs).
Are you an ACWI, CWI or SCWI?

Have Fun.
Parent - By petethomas Date 04-25-2001 07:19
DGXL
Thanx for the info. I never thought of the -P.
As for quals, I'm a CSWIP senior WI which is the same as AWS SCWI. Working in europe we are qual'ed in accordance with Euronorms but we work with lots and lots of different specs and each time we change we have a 2 day reading session!
thanks again pete
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welder performance process classificatio