Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Welding through water
- - By Superflux (****) Date 12-21-2007 01:04
Touchy subject...  Some times it rains on us in this business, and some times the water just won't stop flowing. We were tieing into the city water main and had the entire town's water supply turned off for a scheduled 12 hours. It was early October and so Mother Nature decided to bless us with the first snow of the season. 10 hours into the project, it turned into a world class bizzard. Me and another rig welder were having the pleasure of brother-in-lawing the 48" water main. The bell hole constantly caving in, pump running right next to our heads and water pouring out of the last 3" of root, literally like a faucet. Finally to get the water forced back away through the crack/ root, we fired up a rosebud and aimed it into the root and away from the rod (my face). It worked like a charm. Sooo.... if ever faced with a similar circumstance, the ol' trusty torch can fend off running and flowing water in all but the most severe circumstances. Hope this helps if any of you are in a similar situation. Also since that day, I'm charged up and will never need electro-shock therapy again...ever!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-21-2007 01:44
I take it was a shocking experience?

Al
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-21-2007 06:03
Yes, quite shocking. Best part is, the voices were silenced. No more receiving instructions from the anti-christ.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-22-2007 04:35
Do You mean like "All You Gotta Do Is..." from somebody who never did it?
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-22-2007 08:50
ouch
Parent - By TozziWelding (**) Date 12-23-2007 00:08
I got the $hit zapped out of me the other day(melting snow) but the trusty doctor gloves(latex) under my welding gloves solved that problem.
Parent - - By welderdude (**) Date 12-26-2007 00:31
a co-worker who spent some time in the shipyard had that problem a lot.  his solution is to reverse the polarity--stinger is negative, ground is positive.  I had a problem with water running out of a 2 1/2" pipe and about 2" of room behind it and the wall.  I tried all I could to seal it up the regular way with 6010, but couldn't run through the water.  I switched the polarity and zipped it up like there never was any water at all!  I figure it works because the electricity is pushing into the pipe and pushes the water in with it, as opposed to the usual direction, which pulls the water out of the pipe.  You might not get a picture perfect root, but at least the water won't be pouring out anymore!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-26-2007 23:07
But "dude"....reversing polarity would violate the parameters detailed in the WPS. Sometimes the creative cure to our problems defy common logic or scientific explainations. If confronted with that situation again, I hope to remember and try this one before stringing out the torch. You just never know what the job will throw at you next. Thanx
Parent - - By welderdude (**) Date 12-26-2007 23:12
sometimes they want the impossible!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-27-2007 02:32
That's why we make the BIG bucks. No job too small, no fee too large!
Parent - By andrewsullivan9 (*) Date 01-09-2008 00:48
Tell me about it was welding a large agricultural grab in the workshop which has a hole in the roof it was raining pretty heavy
i was getting shocked 4m away from the earth just changing the electrodes because of the current running accross the wet floor!!
Parent - - By rig welder6 (**) Date 01-10-2008 02:57
as i say there is nothing in this world that cant be done all all you need is my time and your money.
Parent - By chrisodom980 (*) Date 01-11-2008 01:10
try being in a debarking drum arc gouging a 3/4 inch plate that had been ripped off by a pine tree in the middle of a thunder storm. Talking about getting shocked, 350 amps running through your soaking wet gloves everytime you put a rod in. thats why i learned how to weld pipe
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Welding through water