Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME31.3 & 31.1
- - By aaa Date 12-21-2007 05:59
What kind of difference between these two codes? (B31.1 -- Power piping, B31.3 --- Chemical process plant)
Big Thanks.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-21-2007 06:14
In the simplest of terms, B31.1 is basically steam piping while B31.3 is petroleum or similar process piping.
Parent - - By toddler (**) Date 12-21-2007 07:08
If I may add, use of these standards will depend on the type of job or project you are in and sometimes will depend also on client preference. Normally a job involving pressure or power piping will call for ANSI/ASME B31.1 as reference while for process pipes, the code will be that of the B31.3. These two codes are normally referenced in petroleum refinery job/projects. You may find a similar code specs for power plants like ASME-I or IV.

In any case, you will be referred to ASME-IX when you will be required to qualify welders or procedures (with additional requirements coming from B31.1 or 3 such as PWHT, preheat, impact tests, etc).
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-21-2007 07:47
excellent points toddler!
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-25-2007 21:09
ASME B31 series was developed for pressure piping, and is/has been broken down as follows:

B31.1 - Piping for industrial / power plants and marine applications. It has application in power and auxiliary service piping for electrical generation plants/ institutional plants, and heating plants. It may have changed in recent revs but it generally is limited to 15PSI and up for steam vapor, and high temp water at 160psi > 250F.

B31.2 is now NFPA z223.1 it's for gas piping systems  mostly residential

B31.3 This Code contains requirements for piping typically found in petroleum refineries; chemical, pharmaceutical, textile, paper, semiconductor, & cryogenic plants, & related processing plants terminals.

B31.4 This Code prescribes requirements for the design, materials, construction, assembly, inspection, and testing of piping transporting liquids such as crude oil, condensate, natural gasoline, natural gas liquids, liquefied petroleum gas, carbon dioxide, liquid alcohol, liquid anhydrous ammonia and liquid petroleum products between producers' lease facilities, tank farms, natural gas processing plants, refineries, stations, ammonia plants, terminals (marine, rail and truck) and other delivery and receiving points.
There is also some limited application to offshore systems.

B31.5 This Code prescribes requirements for the materials, design, fabrication, assembly, erection, test, and inspection of refrigerant, heat transfer components, and secondary coolant piping for temperatures as low as -320 deg F (-196 deg C)
Care must be taken with this one as it does contain specific limitations of applicability

B31.6 This designation never made it to print. In 1974 it was to be the code section for chemical plant piping, but ended up incorporated into B31.3

B31.7 Nuclear power piping was killed after two editions (I believe in 1969) and responsibility was assumed ASME B&PV Code, Section III, Subsections NA, NB, NC and ND (if you can get a copy of it, it has some valuable information in it)

B31.8 Gas transmission and distribution systems: design, fabrication, installation, inspection, and testing of pipeline facilities used for the transportation of gas. This Code also covers safety aspects of the operation and maintenance of those facilities.

B31.9 Building Services Piping : applicable to water(heating and cooling), steam and condensate, vacuum, and compressed air/non toxic gases.

B31.10 Cryogenic Piping; another one that was DOA. It was folded into B31.3

B31.11 Slurry Transportation Piping

B31.12 Code for Hydrogen Piping and Pipelines

B31Q : This Standard establishes the requirements for developing and implementing Pipeline Personnel Qualification Program.
http://www.asme.org/Codes/Publications/B31Q2006_Pipeline_Personnel.cfm This one has stirred many pots, and still in progress of stirring more.

There are other subsets to the B31 series, but I believe you get the picture.
B16 series is for pipes and fittings is even more fractured than the B31 series.

Hope this helps in clarification.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By bobbytan Date 12-26-2007 01:37
I just joined in this forum. sorry my question may not be related to the topic.

I am from semiconductor inductry. our services require us to weld double containment to contain toxic gases.

when welidng the sleeve of the outer tube via automatic orbital weld, a hole (12mm) was developed. any good method to patch up hole of this size.

I had proposed to use manual weld with filler rod to repair the hole, any bad consequences as a result of this ? such as weakening of material, crack, thermal stresses etc.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-26-2007 17:42
welcome to the forum

Without specifics, it will be hard to give you any valid advise. Thicknesses, materials in specific, code your working to if any to etc.
I can't think of a question that could not be answered by one or the other person on this forum when it comes to welding.
However; with the limited information given, it would be guess work at best.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 12-26-2007 23:14
If the hole in the fillet weld on a containment piping sleeve cannot be fixed be the welder making it with the weld head, normally you have to cut the containment sleeve AND the carrier tube weld out of the way so you can put a new prep on the sleeve. Generally all the high purity jobs I've worked have had all welding requirements outlined in the engineering specs. Considering the chemicals being carried in a co-ax line would you want to risk it?
Parent - - By bobbytan Date 12-28-2007 16:00
If the hole in the fillet weld on a containment piping sleeve cannot be fixed be the welder making it with the weld head, normally you have to cut the containment sleeve AND the carrier tube weld out of the way so you can put a new prep on the sleeve. Generally all the high purity jobs I've worked have had all welding requirements outlined in the engineering specs. Considering the chemicals being carried in a co-ax line would you want to risk it?

it is 1" inner and 1 1/4" outer. 304 outer and sleeve

Either weld head for manual weld with filler can patch up the hole.

But what is the impact of the weld such as:
1. weld strength.
2. composition of weld : anodic due to different material.
3. weld hardening due to reweld ??

any other concern ?
Parent - By toddler (**) Date 12-30-2007 09:42
I would imagine this is a thin-walled tube (probably a A-312 TP 304; Sch 5S or 10S) that's why you developed a hole. I would guess that you are not welding the 1" inner and 1 1/4" together; only either of the two. If it is butt-welded, patching if allowed could do the job, but if it is a socket joint (fillet weld), patching will be weak as you cannot patch the lapped portion.

But what is the impact of the weld such as:
1. weld strength. -- Should be the same if you are using the same rod; joint strength will depend on what load the joint will be subjected to
2. composition of weld : anodic due to different material.  -- if you use the same rod and patch material, there should be no anodic action.
3. weld hardening due to reweld ?? -- I don't think so.

I presume you are using a 308 filler rod for this material.
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 01-01-2008 15:53
Gerald,
Thanks for the post. I have saved your post as a reference.

Jim Hughes
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME31.3 & 31.1