Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Need help on removing broken bolt
- - By Brian77 Date 04-24-2001 14:26
I have a broken motor mount bolt on my car. The bolt broke flush with the engine. The broken bolt is about 3/8. I used a mig to try and weld a smaller bolt to the broken off bolt but the weld kept breaking. There wasnt much room to use a tap and dye or use an easy out. . Any suggestions would help. Im not an expert welder. Also, the drill i used was really small maybe 8 inches long with bit. I even cut the bit when I tried to drill for the easy out. Thanks.

Brian
Parent - By Dave (**) Date 04-24-2001 15:01
Brian,

Use a piece of 1/8 inch thick steel about 3/4 inch square. Drill a hole in this smaller than the diameter of the broken bolt. Center the hole over the end of the broken bolt and weld it to the bolt inside the hole. You can now weld on a larger diameter bolt. Allow it to cool completely before trying to unscrew the bolt. This method is much easier than trying to weld a smaller diameter bolt to the broken one and the two heating and cooling cycles will help loosen the bolt. I have used this method, without fail, on many occasions to remove broken bolts, studs and dowels. Hope it works for you, please let me know.

Dave
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Need help on removing broken bolt