Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS User's guide
- - By ctacker (****) Date 12-21-2007 22:25
anyone know if they have an updated book of AWS user's guide to filler metals?
I have a 1995 edition now but would like a recent copy!
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 12-22-2007 03:47
just wondering what info is in the book?New to the technical side of welding,.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-22-2007 08:24
well i  am not sure of an updated reference....

But you know the web is a great reference.....and I am just speaking in terms of hard charts on applications and the predictable results.....you still gotta make that decision......but it does not take much looking to find filler charts with stress numbers etc.  a lot of manufactures provide them now ......I like to compare charts from two or three major manufacturers and then make my filler choices....when its up to me anyway.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-22-2007 08:31
You can get similar stuff to the users guide on the web.  Lincolns got one, pretty decent... also, if you have access to an ASME Section II, Part C, there are appendices to each SFA which provides great insight, I use the appendices every time I need to make a difficult decision.  By the way, for those who don't know, ASME II, Part C, gets its information from the AWS A5 Committee and then applies ASME letterhead or, in very unusual instances, makes some modification before placing into Code book.  Very similar to ASME II, Part A getting much of it's information from ASTM's.  You'll notice in most of the ASME II, Parts A & C a heading which states "Identical to or similar with AWS A5.18 or ASTM A106 (as examples).
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-22-2007 08:47
ASME work is still harder to get done tho Jon   LOL!!!!
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-22-2007 10:06
Not really sure I agree with that Tommy; consider qualification of welders and WPS... AWS is much, much more restrictive than ASME... even the visual acceptance of each code, AWS is far more strict than ASME.  Just speaking from my own experience.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-24-2007 05:21
I'd have to agree with that statement Jon
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-28-2007 02:53
well I rekon I got a bad perspective there.....ASME boiler work and apparently they went to the 9th degree because it was "*****y" to say the least.   Gouge outs of subarcs ect. was a painful experience for me.  But I do not have enough experience to directly compare it to so a stupid statement on me part I rekon.  Sorry
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-22-2007 23:41
it is a user's guide to filler metals, tells you for example what E71t-1 thru E71-T11 is good for and what gas is used, what position the wire is good for etc. its a lot cheaper than spending the 1200-1400 bills AWS wants for the series of A5.? specifications.

I looked through the bookstore and it doesn't look like they even sell it anymore!
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-23-2007 04:29
Yes ctacker they still sale it because I bought one this year and it was first printed in 1995.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-23-2007 05:00
Hey Milton, where did you find it? I looked at the bookstore and it wasn't there, i have not looked in the catalog yet though.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-23-2007 14:01
ctacker you are talking about the AWS bookstore, if you are in the search type in capital letters UGFM  it should come. I just found it this way. Let me know if you find it.

M.G.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-23-2007 23:59
that worked, I typed the name and couldn't find it. not gonna help me much, I was specifically looking for an updated version, I have about 10 spools of E71T-12H4 wire that book doesnt cover! thanks anyways Milton
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-24-2007 02:49
ctacker try to run a search on google for the E71T-12H4.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS User's guide