Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / FNG
- - By ason1965 (*) Date 12-22-2007 15:04 Edited 12-22-2007 15:31
Hello all, new here and soon to be retired USAF pilot who is hooked on welding and welding inspection. I have been studying the AWS CWI books; inspection technology books etc. and plan on taking the seminar/test sometime next summer. I have been welding for a couple of years and concentrating on the TIG/SMAW processes since I want to get into pipe welding (SS, Chrome, etc) as well. Any particular CWI seminar instructor you guys recommend/don't recommend for the Texas area? Right now I am in the Killeen area working as a liaison/TACP with the Army but am still Air Force blue for awhile. Any words of wisdom would mucho appreciated.

Thanks, Dean
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-22-2007 15:17
Dean,

Welcome to the forum.

You will get lots of advice.. Much of it from some of the very best the industry has to offer.

I'll just start by saying;   Thank you for your military service over the years.
Parent - - By ason1965 (*) Date 12-22-2007 15:30 Edited 12-22-2007 15:39
Your welcome Lawrence,

I truly enjoy reading the posts on this site.

There is a lot to learn about welding and I realize this is one place to do it.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-22-2007 18:37 Edited 12-22-2007 20:46
Thanks for your service to our country. As you are wanting to persue piping I would recommend going with the 1104 standard instead of D1.1 THe CWI program test your broad knowledge of welding and the welding process, the ability to accept and reject welds based on a code, and you knowldedge of a specific code. These are the 3 parts of the test. As you have experience and the self dicipline, buying the books and codes and doing a self study process will put you a leg up on any seminar you attend.

With your ability and card to get on bases, your skills as an inspector will be in demand by contractors who do piping and tank work on bases. Shaw,Weston Solutions and Cape do a lot of work on bases and your ability wo get on bases and how to get contractors on base will be a great asset. You have a great career ahead of you. Concentrate on the test and start talking to some of the contractors working around the base. While the fuels guys are not in your circle, hang around the POL area and find out who is working on the fuels equipment. Most bases have a civillian who is in charge of the POL. If they have work going on, offer a site supervisor a ride on your plane and it will suprise you what these guys will turn you on to. 

Good luck and welcome to the forum
Parent - - By ason1965 (*) Date 12-23-2007 05:01
You are very welcome dbigkahunna,

What little I have been exposed to in the welding/fab. world has shown me I have a lot to learn which is something I enjoy. Also, this site is a great place for knowledge and techniques. I will definitely check out the POL folks on base as well as the other fab/repair shops on this post.

Thanks, Dean
Parent - By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-27-2007 20:21
Dean,  I know it might be a hoof from Texas, but the Hobart Institute of Welding in Troy, Ohio is the place to go in my opinion. The staff there will prepare you with a two week course that is very first class. Took mine in '02 and recommend them to anyone. Elmer Swank heads up the training department and is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to this.(As are the rest of the guys there too!!!). Check out their website.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / FNG