Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Inside filler or outside filler?
- - By toddler (**) Date 12-23-2007 12:20
I'm just curious. Which sytle is better when welding the root run on pipes, inside filler or outside filler?
Parent - By ason1965 (*) Date 12-23-2007 18:39
Interesting question because I am learning to tig pipe and the guys I am learning from mostly pass the filler rod through the inner diameter up to the root opening and fill that way. It makes for nice xray quality welds when view from the inside or out. this was on SS, chrome and the inconel pipes.
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 12-24-2007 00:44
it depends on what the client wants. to much "push through" can be bad. sometimes you want to melt the wire in and other times throw it on the inside for a fat root bead.
Parent - By spgtti (**) Date 12-24-2007 00:58
Learn to keyhole from the outside, backfeed from the inside and just walk over the wire as you'll get the opportunity to have to use each technique eventually.
Parent - - By Flash Date 12-24-2007 06:54
Hi Toddler
interesting question, I generally do both on the same pipe if in the 5G(horz axis) position
my understanding is this
unless it is done because of lack of access
generally the placement of the filler wire is all about allowing for gravity
after all, weld metal is a liquid when it goes in
so at the bottom of the pipe you add the wire inside (above) the joint so when i falls due to gravity it does not end up concave as you work up the sides the wire should be level with the root and when you get to the top it should be outside (above) the joint so when it falls due to gravity it is not convex or excess
so to answer your question it depends on the position you are welding in
2G or Vertical axis sucks back all the way around on the root so generally operators add it inside the joint to compensate for the suck back 
Hope this helps
R
Flash
www.technoweld.com.au 
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-27-2007 02:50
For me, speed plays more of a factor than where. Seems the faster I can go, the less suck back on the bottom and fewer icicles on the top. For 2G pipe, try large gap and feed filler from the top of the bevel, drag down quickly and get back to the top fast, ie any pausing is at the top just long enough to melt the filler. Don't forget to back off or kill the purge completely when making the last 1/2" of tie-in on the root (or suck back is guaranteed). As Flash said, its all about gravity!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-31-2007 15:39
Just curious myself, why, when you are just learning would you wish to make it more difficult on yourself and open the gap that much? While it is true that techniques such as rod manipulation through depth, keyholing and the like (keyholing has actually worked better for me with tighter gaps), will come in handy, and may even be required sometimes, mostly on repairs, why would you make it tougher on yourself if not necessary?
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-02-2008 02:16
An opinion on technique is a very personal issue. Like fashion, hairstyle etc. Or, as I see it; it's like the snowboarding vs. skiing controversy. Why learn two techniques, when it is much easier to teach the simpler one with fewer variables. My opinion only of course. Actually, when teaching any trade (or process), I try to present the fundamentals, then "tailor the technique" to the individual.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Inside filler or outside filler?