Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Portable Welders
- - By thebandit501 (*) Date 12-24-2007 02:27
Yeah getting ready to buy a new welding machine was wondering which machine is the best for pipe welding, also I would like the best generator. I like the miller trailblazer 302 but I heard the ranger 10000 was good also, just want somebody else's opionion.
Parent - By toddler (**) Date 12-24-2007 04:25
Depends on the process and welding job. Manual or semi-auto? Light, medium, or heavy welding? This will require different machine like CC or CV type as well as duty cycle rating. I would suggest you go for inverter types.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-24-2007 06:09
I know 2 guys that have Trailblazers, thiers are the older 301 model. They rave about them. These have a 120 hz 3 phase welding arc. This is smoother than the other light machines. Another difference is that the Aux power comes from a completly differnt set of windings than the welding power, so there is no interference between the two. The trailblazer has the capability [standard] for remote contactor and amperage, if You are looking for a multi process machine this might interest You. One of My friends runs a 7.5 HP Quincy industrial compressor from His 301. This impresses Me quite a bit.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 12-25-2007 22:38
In addition to the good advice that Dave gave, you can't go wrong with the TrailBlazer. I don't know if the Lincoln has remote control built in but I use my remote on every weld I make. I have a Finger tip control tapped on the stinger so I can change amperage as I'm welding. Lincoln doesn't offer a FTC except for a fragile looking piece of plastic and to me it's not user friendly at all. The TB  welds as good as the Classic II (maybe better!@#$). The diesel TB costs 2X as much as the gas and with the difference between the two fuels at this time your not gaining much. Some will argue that the diesel lasts longer. I have seen gas TB's with 4,000 hrs on them on numerous occasions. You'll have a choice between two engines, I got the Subaru and haven't had any problems yet (600hrs) There's a lot of stigma that goes with a little blue machine but like I said in a post a while back that it's not so much what your hooked up to it's how you wiggle your rod!

P.S. some machine DO stack better than others and the TB can really stack!
Parent - - By thebandit501 (*) Date 12-26-2007 03:42
thanks guys I will take all this in consideration I am still looking around researching and deciding thanks again
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 12-26-2007 03:57
The biggest determineing (can't spell today) is serviceability what that means is what is the most popular machine in your area and how easy is it to get parts and tech advice thats what works for me. I am a believer that it is not the machine as much as the man (or woman) running it that makes the difference when it comes to laying a bead. Haveing said that I have always been a miller fan and have had no problems with them but there are others that are going to disagree with that. Progressive blue or antique grey is all in the eye of the beholder.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-26-2007 04:11
I have a Ranger 9, this machine has the 6 and 14 pin sockets to plug and play with Lincoln acessories, the Ranger 8 doesn't, but I think they can be added. I believe the ranger 250 and 305 have the sockets standard. I can't vouch for how the ranger 9 welds, I only recently got it, as much for standby power here at home as anything. Other than to be sure it worked I havn't welded with it yet.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Portable Welders