Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PED Weld Consumables
- - By EJSQC Date 12-24-2007 16:02
Our Company has recently started doing work to the Pressure Equipment Directive 97/23/EC (PED.  I am having a hard time finding Suppliers that are able to provide complete material test reports type EN 10204 and further finding materials manufactured by companies whose Quality System is approved by a notified body that is located in the European Community. (TUV for example) Speciality Metals at Huntington W VA is one such company.  They provide nickle alloy materials.  I need to find suppliers of carbon steel, and stainless steel GMAW, GTAW and Sub Arc materials.   C of C's and Typical certifications are not acceptable. Any information or leads will be greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-24-2007 20:11
Hi EJSQC!

You might want to check out Outukompu -Avesta-Polarit for Stainless steel... ESAB (Not ESAB North America) for carbon steels... Sandvik is another one as is Thyssen-Krupp... UTP... OERLIKON... That's all I can think of off the top of my head but, Stephan might be able to help you more since he's the european welding expert here. :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 12-25-2007 03:19
EJSQC,
I don't have the website address (on holiday in NZ) but if you go to the Lloyds website they have a section on all the approved electrode manufacturers worldwide. Lloyds are a notified body so anyone that has been approved by them is acceptable to the PED.
We have just gone through the same dramas in New Caledonia (which is a French colony so everything is PED) and it was a complete pain in the b.tt.
Good luck,
If you get really stuck, drop my boss a line - jbaxter@inco.com, he is a Scottish Welding Engineer with a lot of experience with PED,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-25-2007 11:08
Hello Shane!!! I forgot that you work to those standards also!!! My apologies!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By EJSQC Date 12-26-2007 17:27
To ssbn727 and all,
Thanks alot, this is exactly the direction I need to be advised of.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  Again thankd and Happy Holidays.

EJSQC
Parent - - By toddler (**) Date 12-25-2007 12:30
We've had a PED job too and turned to METRODE and KOBELCO for consumables. As long as the required docs are there, it worked fine. Please go over again with the definition of a "notified body". I don't think it correctly applies to the choice of supplier. I might be wrong but I guess its "somebody" you assign to work with you as a 3rd Party. What the supplier need is Quality approval from 3rd party inspection like ABS, Lloyds, BV, etc. The certs must be current and valid. You submit their docs to your "notified body" for review/approval.. if my memory serves me right.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 12-26-2007 00:25
Toddler,
We ended up using Metrode for most of our electrodes. It is a bit more complicated than just sending the documents to a notified body. The notified body audits the manufacturers plant, Quality system etc and then issues an approval certificate.
We have Lloyds for our notified body and they will have the final sign off on the US$3.5 billion Nickel Mine we are building. All our electrodes must come from an "approved" supplier and that approval can only come from a Notified Body (Lloyds, TUV, BV etc). I think these certificates are called 3.1 (b) certificates.These are then submitted to the Notified Body with all the other QA documentation related to the job.
Metrode have all the necessary approvals so as you say it is quite easy when all the necessary documents are available. When it becomes difficult is when the desired electrodes or steel is available only from one supplier and that supplier is not "approved".
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-06-2008 15:02
Shane,

Sorry for bringing this old topic back to life. I did a search on PED and this came up :)

Welding consumables only need to come with a 2.2 certificate - actually the correct word is test report - according to PED
Source: Guideline7/10

Take a look on guideline 7/5, it descibes the various certificates needed for different applications.

The company I work for is notified body, and have the pleassure of working with some guys who are very knowledgeable in PED

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PED Weld Consumables