Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GMAW: Spray, Globular, Short-circuiting?
- - By toddler (**) Date 12-25-2007 07:59
A WPS was submitted for review/approval. It says under MODE OF METAL TRANSFER: Spray

How would I know the transfer mode is really spray arc and not globular or short-circuiting or otherwise? I understand this is an essential variable so a change from one to another is not allowed.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-25-2007 08:11 Edited 12-25-2007 08:14
Well, the best way is to look up a filler metal suppliers transition data; amps, volts, feed and gas all come into play.  A far less "scientific" method would be to listen to the arc; spray will sound like "sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh" globular a bit less of a shushing sound, more like sputtering, short-circuiting will sound like bacon frying and pulse will sound like a gigantic bee, lol!  But, like I said, the best way is to look up the actuals for the filler metal type your using, most manufacturers will list these details.  Or, if you want some REALLY excellent information, go to Ed Craigs Weld Reality (look him up on the web):

www.weldreality.com

There's undoubtedly not another person on the planet with the wealth of GMAW information and knowledge as that of Ed Craig.

P/S: If your working with ASME, the only essential really of concern is switching from spray to short-circuiting.  Spray qualifies for globular and pulsed modes.
Parent - - By toddler (**) Date 12-25-2007 11:27 Edited 12-25-2007 11:33
Yah, amps, volts, feed and gas all come into play. These are all indicated in the WPS. I wonder how our CWI's or welding engineers verify this when they receive WPS for review. I followed the link you suggested... and I got lost... and when I came to a page where I thought I would be getting some answer... it says "Order now..".
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-25-2007 11:31 Edited 12-25-2007 11:34
Well, just speaking on my own behalf, when I receive a contractors WPS for review (not actually witnessing the welding) I just run the numbers by the book, if they fit, I buy it.  

If they hand me a short-circuiting WPS for structural applications, I probably won't buy it.  Vice-versa, if they hand me a spray WPS for sheet metal or vertical up jobs, again, probably won't buy it!

Basically the same thing when I'm witnessing the welding but here of course, it's much simpler, as I said, I can tell simply by listening, don't even need to look at the settings to know what the transfer mode is. ;-)
Parent - By toddler (**) Date 12-25-2007 12:01
Jon,

Can you explain further please why?

"If they hand me a short-circuiting WPS for structural applications, I probably won't buy it.  Vice-versa, if they hand me a spray WPS for sheet metal or vertical up jobs, again, probably won't buy it!"
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-26-2007 04:21
Toddler: When You get some time go back to Ed Craigs site and spend some time with it. It really is a great resource.
Parent - By toddler (**) Date 12-26-2007 11:27
Ok Dave. This is the 2nd time the site was endorsed. It must be good. I sure will do that. Thanks!
Parent - - By toddler (**) Date 12-25-2007 11:54
Jon, "...the only essential really of concern is switching from spray to short-circuiting."?

I thought I mis-interpret the code so I check again:

QW-409.2 A change from spray arc, globular arc, or pulsating arc to short circuiting arc, or vice versa (ASME-IX, p.69, 2004 ed).

The way I interpret this is any change from any mode to the other is a no-no. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-25-2007 13:55 Edited 12-25-2007 13:57
One of the key words there is "to" (followed by short-circuit) and the other key word is "or" (followed by vice versa)... read it again; a change from spray, globular or pulsing "TO" short-circuiting "OR" vice versa... which means the key concern is the short-circuit mode... if your welding sheet metal, short-circuit is probably the correct approach but it's just not ordinarily thought to be robust enough for heavier members.

Does that make more sense the second time around?  ASME IX is like that, as much experience as I have in working with it, it still often remains somewhat elusive until someone explains it very slowly, lol!!! ;-)

Hope that made sense to you!
Parent - - By toddler (**) Date 12-26-2007 11:24
Thanks jon! I am now actually laughing at myself why that interpretation did not occur to me the first time. Maybe because English is not my language, lol!!! ;-)
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-26-2007 12:07
toddler, don't laugh at yourself, English is my language and I've found myself feeling EXACTLY the same so many times I've lost count, it's all part of learning!!!  Where are you from, if I may ask?
Parent - - By toddler (**) Date 12-26-2007 13:14
I am currently connected with one of the leading construction firm in Saudi Arabia. For personal reason, I'd like to keep my country of origin private (for now ;-)). Hope you don't mind.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-26-2007 15:18
toddler, no problem!  Although I'm an American by birth, I've worked all around the world and am currently in Kazakhstan on the most fascinating project of my entire career! 

Your country of origin means nothing to me in a pre-judgmental way, but if you wish, you may write me privately, either by private message on forum, or via my e-mail address; jon20013@hotmail.com

A good new year to you, I've enjoyed your questions as a new-comer to our forum, all the best.

Jon
Parent - - By toddler (**) Date 12-27-2007 03:51
Thanks for the nice welcome Jon! I tried twice to send you a private message yesterday but the system said something like "the user does not exist". I probably had it the wrong way. So you're in Kazakhstan? We've had some opportunity before to supply welders in Kazakhstan and they said its tooooo cold out there! Ive even heard someone throw a joke that if you pee outside.. it won't reach the ground! It's getting cold here also (7°C).

Advance happy new year to you and your family!
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-27-2007 04:07
Thanks toddler and a Happy New Year to you also.  It is indeed cold here.  Having spent a winter once before in the northern portion of South Korea, it doesn't seem quite as cold as there but from what I've heard it will be getting much colder!  The design ambient conditions for our site are -36C and the last couple of days it's been around -11C at my location.  Cold enough but tolerable... as far as peeing on the ground outside, I'm not sure I'd try that, it might be dangerous!!!
Parent - - By the_croz Date 12-31-2007 09:19
My experience is a voltage setting between 28-32 volts will give you a good spray transfer, just run your wire speed up to give you a silent smooth Arc sound and the Arc force (when dragging) will give you good penetration and a wide (when oscillating the gun) flat bead..
Parent - - By Sean (**) Date 01-04-2008 19:13 Edited 01-04-2008 20:03
How about just looking at the wire after welding.... Take a look at these pictures and you can see the effect of the mode of transfer after welding.

Attachment: GMAW-SP.jpg (54k)
Attachment: GMAW-SC.jpg (61k)
Attachment: GMAW-GB.jpg (65k)
Parent - By toddler (**) Date 01-05-2008 06:37
Nice! I haven't tried this visual clues.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 01-04-2008 23:19
Spray transfer on steel will require at least 80% Argon with the remainder carbon dioxide. Or, 5% or less oxygen. Gas Flow rates should be 30-40 cubic feet per hour. Once the gas mixture is selected, the voltage will need to be set and that voltage will depend on the gas (percentage of Argon) mixture.  Visually, spray transfer should have droplets "spraying" across the arc that are the wire diameter size or smaller. If the droplets are larger than the wire diameter, Increase the voltage. Increase the wire feed speed to achieve the tightest/shortest arc length with out short circuiting or stubbing the wire in the weld pool. And, set the wire feed speed for the amperage called for in the procedure. The procedure should spell out the voltage and amperage. Use meters to determine the actual voltage and amperage.
By the way what values does the questioned procedure call for; volts, amperage, travel speed, shielding gas, flow rates etc.
Parent - - By toddler (**) Date 01-05-2008 06:36 Edited 01-05-2008 06:54
Here's a sample WPS: From this data alone, is this a globular?

Process:    FCAW
Shield gas:  CO2
Filler:    E71T-1; 1.2mmØ
Flowrate:    20~30 CFH
Volt Range:  22~30v
Amp Range:  145-245
Travel Speed:  14~35 cm/min
Wire Feed:  250~275 IPM
Mode:    GLOBULAR?

Process:    FCAW
Shield gas:  CO2, 99.99%
Filler:    E71T-1; 1.6mmØ
Flowrate:    15~25 CFH
Volt Range:  20~28v
Amp Range:  220-300
Travel Speed:  2~5 IPM
Wire Feed:  N/A?
Mode:    SPRAY?

What data and ranges should be for other metal transfer mode?

Thanks!
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 01-05-2008 20:44
The flux cored EXXT-1 mild steel electrode has by its nature a spray transfer. My original post suggests a solid steel wire electrode. Both the 1.2 & 1.6 diameters are capable of being welded multiple pass and out of position. The manufacturer of the wire should have a parameter data sheet which would recommend volts & amps per diameter and type of electrode.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GMAW: Spray, Globular, Short-circuiting?