Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / School? Ocean Corp?
- - By fordmxracer Date 12-26-2007 05:59
I am currently deployed to iraq right now and will return by may of 2008.  I live about 1 1/2 hours from houston and am looking at going to school at The Ocean Corporation for underwater welding. Just looking for any reviews on this school and if its hard to get in?

Another thing...I am not certified on any welding types but I do know how to mig weld and have had basic classes on stick welding so my question is should I go to a local school to learn and become certified in stick and also take some diving courses or is the school totally comprehensive?

Thanks Ryan
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 12-26-2007 08:52 Edited 12-26-2007 08:55
ryan , thanks for all you guys are doing for us , you are heros to us . and welcome to the forum , i would learn to weld first , when i worked on a lay barge because i could weld the skipper offered to train me on diving , they had all the gear at that time they owned the largest diving company in the world , he said it was easier to train divers than it was to train welders , he also said he always used american welders if he could get them because they were the best . up here he used 798 pipe welders for the pipeline . this was the largest derick barge on the west coast built to lay barge specs. the DB300 in 1976

it was loaded with gear had a small side boom cat feeding the pipe just like going cross country had 5 ocean going tugs tied on at all times as we were in the 2nd highest tides in the world and 4 small tugs running anchors , each shift had 85 men working top side they also had a huge quarters barge and many pipe barges hauling supplies . i was working out of the operators union doing welding and fabrication on the barges when we changed barges the pipe welders cut down the stinger and we welded the hitch on the derick barge 25 it was also built to lay barge specs.   to go across the mud flats ( the 798 welders told me i should paint all my welds so if the welds broke the paint would hold it together they were expert welders and some of the nicest and hardest working guys i have ever worked with of course being younger and working both shifts i could start rumors on both shifts it was probably the most fun job i have ever been on one of my duties on the

DB25 was to build 2 barbques to cook lunches with they showed me how to make them ) all work was done on the water most big operations rarely go ashore because they have to pay extra warf and fees associated with docks they don't own . i stayed on as master mechanic , they paid me around the clock for 2 months till we broke it down and sent it off to sea . the big barge DB 300 had just finished driving pilings at kenai and went to the persian gulf . it later returned to san francisco , i was there for 4 months to complete the line . there is always lots of welding if you know how to weld , we had many young welders get lots of experience on that job .i would do the welding first , unless you like diving . but i would recommend that you look into the union trades they have good training and benefits , i know that i enjoy my pension and still have to take emergency calls as they are still short handed . sorry this got so long been out plowing snow to-nite guess no one to talk to also i bumped the keyboard and can't get the spaces out mabey ross or john can put a picture in that space . stay safe and keep us posted on how you do . good luck . willie  
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / School? Ocean Corp?