Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Metallurgy- New Section?
- - By toddler (**) Date 12-27-2007 08:02
Would it be possible to create a new section under the heading "METALLURGY"?

I had once gone through a difficult experience qualifying procedures on standard and super duplex stainless steel. Much of the journals I've read about welding these metals says it is quite similar to ordinary stainless steel and speaks only of "attitude" and environmetal conditions. But when I tried myself into it, I got too much trouble meeting the requirements on heat input, hardness, ferrite count, and corrosion test.

This I think stem from my lack of knowledge on metallurgy as a whole.

The "TECHNICAL" section I think offers a broad subject for discussion but for those eyeing for specific information, I suggest we narrow it down a bit further.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-27-2007 08:15
toddler, that's not a bad suggestion and certainly one our webmaster might consider.  In the interim, there seems to be a lot of knowledge available from folks in the technical section of this forum.  With regard to duplex and super-duplex stainless steels, my advice would be to go to this link, it's one of the best I've seen: http://www.metrode.com/product_information/

Further, one of our very active Forum Members; js55 is past Chairman of the D10.18 Recommended Practice for Welding of Ferritic / Austenitic Duplex Stainless Steel Piping. js55 is, in my opinion, one the worlds renowned experts on this subject.

As I say, not a bad idea but I'm not sure if we don't already have too many sections within the forum?

Regards,

Jon
Parent - By toddler (**) Date 12-28-2007 07:07
That's really great. Duplex stainless steels are becoming popular and getting their places in the code. This is only one concern. There are others that require the wisdom and expert opinion of metallurgist like distortion control, stress analysis, heat treatment (normalizing for one), effects of alloying elements, and the likes of phase transformations/ lattice formations which when discussed somewhere or talk about amazes me. Knowledge of these will provide inspectors and engineers some decision-making guidelines when faced with metallurgical concerns.
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 12-27-2007 17:55
I agree. Would be a great idea for that topic.

Jim
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 12-27-2007 18:02
Replace the management section with it.  JIMO.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 12-27-2007 18:59
toddler , good idea , also start a new section for lonely welders and  a special section at the top for scott to give us some insite as whats going on in his world i love his post . it needs to be at the top so none of us miss it . keeps me laughing . good luck . willie 
Parent - - By toddler (**) Date 12-28-2007 06:55
section for lonely welders?? Why not?! Im lonely too and I find this forum very instructive as well as entertaining. In fact I thought of sending someone an interesting and funny joke but I don't know where to post it. Another section maybe?
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-28-2007 07:26
Post in "Off the Topic Bar & Grill"

I also agree, Scott needs his own thread, he is one very funny guy!!!  :-)
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 12-28-2007 14:06
I too would like to see a Metallurgy Section.  However, I would like to see a strictly enforced rule that the SA 200 cannot be talked about in this subject area!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-31-2007 14:40
Duplex can be tough. And what you have heard is half right. The actual welding of duplex is virtually the same as SS, through the eyes of the welder. Little less hot crack sensitive, little more hydrogen crack sensitive, but the puddle, fusion, wetting, etc, are virtually indistinguishable. Even with supers, you can readily weld them as standard SS's (though supers are more susceptible to embrittlement-the reason why Charpies are often imposed). They just won't do what they are designed to do and you will most likely fail your necessary tests.
The trouble is, as you have experienced, finding the parameter balance that will allow you you to pass the required tests-especially difficult with the supers. And it doesn't help that sometimes customers, in their ignorance and enthusiasm for a viable weldment, impose unreasonable requirements.
Supers can be most frustrating, witness the fact that many weld procedures for supers are actually patented and nobody is really aware of it because they are almost never enforced.
The higher the alloy content, the more stringent the testing regime, the narrower the window of allowable parameters. And if your new to supers you may need to run several tests, accumulating important data, to 'dial in' your allowables.
Parent - By toddler (**) Date 01-01-2008 10:36
"...finding the parameter balance that will allow you you to pass the required tests-especially difficult with the supers. And it doesn't help that sometimes customers, in their ignorance and enthusiasm for a viable weldment, impose unreasonable requirements..."

Exactly!

When you try to tweak on some parameters to pass one test, you would find yourself failing in the other like a beam balance; and your customer won't budge in to any concession however you explain.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 12-31-2007 14:50
i agree
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-02-2008 14:21
And IMO this situation has been driven by the fact that our ability and enthusiasm for testing of SDSS's has far outstripped or understanding of their responses in many services.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-02-2008 14:30
Not to mention the tendency to save money by minimizing alloy content, which makes the margin of error even tighter. Especially if they try and make up for the minimal alloy by increased testing verification.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-04-2008 03:36
Based on the interest expressed in opening a metallurgy thread, I spoke with some of the other Moderators and Web Admin and we should have a new thread this week.  Good job guys!

Joe; I guarentee there will be SA-200 postings, I'll just ask that people post them directly to your personal e-mail account!!! :-)
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 01-04-2008 20:00
Due to popular demand, there is a new Metallurgy section, found under Professions on the main forum page.

Ross
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 01-04-2008 23:24
Doesn't AWS cater more to welders & inspectors than metallurgists and managers? :)
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 02-29-2008 22:50
joe , i asked ross to create a section for the SA 200 it's up and runing now this may help others who post all over these sections to get their answers . also thanks for all the nice things that you do on the forum . if your travels bring you back up here let me know i'll buy dinner . good luck . willie
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Metallurgy- New Section?