Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Help on abbreviations
- - By toddler (**) Date 01-01-2008 11:18
Can anyone please provide definition on what the letters stand for?

SFA (as in SFA-5.1, filler metal specifications)
P-No. (base metal groupings, ASME)
F-No. (F stands for?)
A-516 Grade 70 (A stands for?)
SA-516 Grade 70 (SA stands for?)
SB-516 (SB stands for?)
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 01-01-2008 17:16
Parent - - By toddler (**) Date 01-02-2008 03:11
Thanks! I got this from the link you gave:

"We had a discussion on this at the ASME Section IX Subcommittee meeting a year or two ago. Dr. D'or Doty, who probably was the longest subcommittee member at that time said that the "P" originally designated materials approved for welded "pressure" applications.  The "S" numbers were developed sometime after P-Numbers and originally referred to materials approved by Code Cases for "structural" applications.  That description would no longer be correct today, as there are many S-number materials that are used for pressure applications, such as piping."

This solves the "P" in P-no. and probably the "S" in SA-xxx. Some puzzle still remain unsolved. I did not go through all the threads yet so Im not sure if I'll find all the answer there. would I?

Happy new year!
Parent - - By petty4345 (**) Date 01-02-2008 11:48
I went to a Section IX seminar a few years back taught by Walter Sperko and from what I remember:
"A" assignment number
"SA" special assignment number
"SFA" special filler assignment
Parent - - By toddler (**) Date 01-02-2008 13:07
Hmmm... so why is it that in the list of basemetals in ASME-IX we have A-53 as well as SA-53 for example? Does this mean that SA-53 is "especial"? and is different than A-53?
Parent - - By petty4345 (**) Date 01-02-2008 13:21
2007 Section IX --- I don't see A-53 listed? Just SA-53
Parent - By petty4345 (**) Date 01-02-2008 13:29
Also,
Any base material with the "SA" designation is a "P" number approved for pressure vessels
Any base metal with the "A" designation is a "S" number for structural
Some materials are listed with both but I think are different types or grades within the specification number.
Parent - - By toddler (**) Date 01-02-2008 14:03
I don't know where I got it but I have this on my notes:
   A-53 Type E Gr B; Pno. S1; GrpNo. SG1; UNS No. K03005; Resistance welded pipe
   SA-53 Type E Gr B; Pno. 1; GrpNo. 1; UNS No. K03005; Resistance welded pipe

But you are correct, I don't find it in the 2004 edition of ASME IX. But some materials do have both the prefix "A" and "SA".
Parent - - By petty4345 (**) Date 01-02-2008 14:11
As far as "SB", I don't know what the "B" stands for. The difference though is that all of the "A" materials are ferrous and the "B" materials are non-ferrous.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-02-2008 14:51
SA designated materials are those adopted by ASME to be included in BPV Section II A and B. For the most part they are exact duplicates of the A Series specifications as established by ASTM but there are minor differences from time to time. Don't ask me off hand where they are, I don't remember. :>)
ASTM has many material specifications that have not been accepted under ASME BPV. So if you see A its ASTM. If you see SA its ASME. And I'm not talking about what may or may not be listed in ASME IX.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-02-2008 15:10
Another source of confusion may be that AWS uses A only for its filler specs. For example A 5.1 for Carbon steel SMAW fillers. The SFA prefix is used for those accepted by ASME and is used in BPV Section IIC. For example SFA 5.1 for carbon steel SMAW fillers. To my knowledge the SFA's and A's for fillers are exactly the same. ASME just adopts them without changes. As a matter of fact many of the movers and shakers on the A5 committee spend most of their time dealing with ASME issues.
Parent - By toddler (**) Date 01-03-2008 04:01
Whenever I am asked about the meaning of the letters in Pno., FNo.,SFA No.; I had this answer for a joke:

P for P-arent material
F for F-iller material
SFA - Specification for Filler Aterial ;-)
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 01-23-2008 15:42
Is there a statement anywhere I can reference showing exact equivalence between AWS A5.? and the SFA standards?

Hg
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-23-2008 15:54
I do not have a IIC handy, but I do believe, if memory serves, that somewhere in the Intro or Forward to ASME IIC that there is some mention of that. If not, I don't know off hand where you would find it.
Parent - By petty4345 (**) Date 01-23-2008 16:56
ASME Section II Part C
Under the heading of each SFA # there is an ASME symbol as well as the AWS symbol
And in parentheses it says indentical to AWS Specification A___
Parent - - By toddler (**) Date 01-03-2008 03:52
Agree. If I remember it right, this is one of the issues where our WPS was rejected in the process of getting our ASME "U" and "P/S" stamp. All material specs in the WPS/PQR with an A-xxx must be changed to SA-xxx.

"...ASTM has many material specifications that have not been accepted under ASME BPV.... "

If it has not been accepted, why are we seeing A-xxx in their list? Am I right to say that anything on the list is ASME BPV approved material and therefore should be labelled as SA-xxx?
Parent - - By petty4345 (**) Date 01-03-2008 11:47
Some parts of an ASME vessel are not part of the pressure boundry, so those materials can be used for legs, leg pads, etc.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-03-2008 14:25
toddler,
When I say accepted I suppose I should have been more specific. My intent is actually limited to Section IIA and B. The list I assume you are talking about is Section IX. This is different.
And though there is an intimate correspondance between Section II and Section IX-the research by Section II materials working groups is usually the data that is supplied for Section IX materials acceptance-they are still two entirely seperate entities and groups of people-though some names may overlap.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Help on abbreviations