Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / weld interpass temperature
- - By vscid (*) Date 01-02-2008 13:27
Hi,

What is the interpass temperature and how much should it be?
I am TIG welding inconel.

Thanks!
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 01-03-2008 00:13
A typical maximum interpass temperature for many inconel matrials is about 250F.  However, it can depend on which type.  Let us know more about your application, and you can get a more specific answer.
Parent - - By vscid (*) Date 01-10-2008 19:05
I am TIG welding the inside of a pipe (2.5 inch thickness, 29 inch OD ) of a nuclear reactor.
The material is alloy 600.
The chemistry is as below:

Carbon  0.15 max 
Chromium  14 - 17 
Copper  0.5 max 
Iron  6 - 10 
Manganese  1 max 
Nickel  Balance 
Silicon  0.5 max 
Sulphur  0.015 max 

Thanks!
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 01-11-2008 00:53
If you are tig welding for a nuclear reactor, the only way to determine the maximum interpass temperature is to strictly adhere to your qualified welding procedure!!!  There has to be one right??
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-13-2008 04:12
If your welding alloy 600 on a nuclear reactor your probably doing a repair on cracking. Therefore I strongly advise you to seek proper engineering advice. If you are the engineer, I suggest you contact Areva nuclear services, GE nuclear services, or Westinghouse nuclear services for their expertise as they all have specific information in this regards since the cracking issue first surfaced on alloy 600 a few years back. I've contracted to all three of them and can safely say, the "repair", must be taken on an individual case basis, and not in general terms. There is no "cheap" option for what you are dealing with, even if it's a new weld, which I very seriously doubt, that knowledge is going to be necessary to prevent issues in the future.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By darren (***) Date 01-13-2008 10:58 Edited 01-13-2008 11:03
cwi555 is right on, i can only speak to following procedure ie. wps and not to welding within a nuclear facility as i have never done that. The truth of the matter is that a welder is just a very small part of the big picture when doing a weld such as your describing. man o man get someone with an engineering stamp to give you the "what to do". soliciting advice from this forum even though it is the best of the best is scary in that SOMEONE THERE SHOULD KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL, ITS A NUCLEAR FACILITY FOR GOD'S SAKE.
darren
p.s.
if you are only trying to confirm some info you have been given then if you are concerned inform governing bodies about your concerns. there must be mechanisms for you to have any concerns addressed ITS A NUCLEAR FACILITY!!!
p.s.s for all those who are aware of my usual lack of capitalization and punctuation then you would recognize this is very disconcerting to a simple man such as myself. hopefully i am not being an alarmist but such a question should be reported to the energy commission. john asked us not to swear , it is very hard not to use some explicatives in this post.
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 01-13-2008 15:22
Vscid,
It realy does not matter if it's a Nuclear Reactor or a pipeline or a process plant you need to look at the WPS and follow it. Now if someone is pushing you to weld to fast and your concerned that you are violating that temp. than all the more reason to lean on that WPS. It's takes away all opinion and debate especially in the Nuclear enviroment. If you have looked at the WPS and your just concerned that you think it is wrong than bring it up to the field engineering staff. Have you seen the WPS for the work your doing? It's obvious that you have seen an MTR of some kind, so you do have access to relevant information. Is this a fab shop that works on Nuclear components? or are you working at a Nuclear facility?

Thanks
Jim Hughes
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / weld interpass temperature